Controversial opinions on metal

Of course, man. Sometimes I just enjoy the attention. As long as it entertains someone or stimulates a healthy debate, I'm all up for it. Of course, no healthy debate has commenced yet, but I honestly don't know why I was even expecting one.

Not to be condescending, but what do you expect when you continually insist that everybody that likes Necromantia but not Dimmu Borgir feels that way only because Dimmu Borgir is relatively popular in comparison to the former? Also, describing Necromantia, Dimmu Borgir, and Summoning all as "aesthetically similar" as though liking one should result in liking all is a bit daft, as they're worlds apart from one another in many respects. Perhaps if you could either drop the "people hate certain bands only because they're popular" schtick or actually provide evidence to support the claim, the conversation might be more interesting.

But it's difficult to root out such deeply prejudiced views. I shall attempt that in my next series of essays. But currently I'm at work, so ta ta for now.

By the way, the reason why I keep hammering this point is because I have talked to many "indiscriminate" fans(let's call them thus for the sake of the argument) of symphonic black metal and they are big fans of all three; then there must be something that keeps the favoritists choose one over the other.

I shall try to discuss this at length by attempting to disassemble the aesthetic/sonic elements of the trio later on.

i love how you moan about subjectivity whilst simultaneously presenting yourself as the guide of reason to lead the bigots out of their blinkered systems of value. i'm not even being sarcastic, youre trolling the shit out of this board

btw i'm not that big on necromantia really so i guess i'll whole-heartedly agree that necromantia must have a host of underlying similarities to dimmu borgir 'cause that's the only logical conclusion to make

Dude, it's just for fun.:p
And I'm glad you see the similarities.
There are people whose mind is big enough to incorporate anything from harsh noise to Celine Dion. So what's wrong with Dimmu? Heh.
But I'm still on the clock and don't have time to spare right now to go into further details.

Your post kind of "deflated" me, honestly, though, but whatever. I may still post that essay.

at this point i feel like the extension of your argument is 'if you like one black metal band you should like every black metal band, if you like every pop band...etc'

Not to be condescending, but what do you expect when you continually insist that everybody that likes Necromantia but not Dimmu Borgir feels that way only because Dimmu Borgir is relatively popular in comparison to the former? Also, describing Necromantia, Dimmu Borgir, and Summoning all as "aesthetically similar" as though liking one should result in liking all is a bit daft, as they're worlds apart from one another in many respects. Perhaps if you could either drop the "people hate certain bands only because they're popular" schtick or actually provide evidence to support the claim, the conversation might be more interesting.

Good to see you again!

Why is that so difficult for you to comprehend?
It's not. Not at all.

By the way, has anyone ever stopped to think why Metallica are the most unanimously praised and accessible band in metal? With hundreds of millions of fans all over the world regardless of the type of music these people listen to. Only the most closeted rock/hip-hop fanatics will dismiss them as noise.

There's something transcendent in their music. There may be hundreds of more technically talented guitarists than Kirk and better vocalists than James, but still, the music is just on another level; with generally lucid transitions from one section to the next, quality riffs,evocative guitarwork and tight compositions, a different atmosphere on every album, etc.

I haven't really found many people who can't appreciate at least some of their songs or albums. They appeal to rock fans because they can ROCK, and rock hard, and they appeal to metal fans because of the mysterious dark atmosphere.Of course there are some who are into harsher music and dismiss Metallica as bubblegum pop in light of the overwhelming praise, and there are some metalheads who prefer miore obscure traditional heavy metal. But the fact remains: they achieved worldwide recognition, and that's something that no other metal band has done.
I've never really heard the phrase: "can't get into Metallica, for some reason." Well, at least from those who are predisposed to this kind of music. Maybe some solitary voices of dissent and confusion, but other than that, none really.

MOP is the one with the least punch. It's difficult for me to enjoy if I don't turn up the volume really high. Kinda strange that it is considered their most accomplished album by far. Some Metallica die-hards tell me that it's their most sophisticated record in terms of composition. Hmm...

But it's difficult to root out such deeply prejudiced views. I shall attempt that in my next series of essays. But currently I'm at work, so ta ta for now.

By the way, the reason why I keep hammering this point is because I have talked to many "indiscriminate" fans(let's call them thus for the sake of the argument) of symphonic black metal and they are big fans of all three; then there must be something that keeps the favoritists choose one over the other.

I shall try to discuss this at length by attempting to disassemble the aesthetic/sonic elements of the trio later on.

Okay, well let me know when you actually have an argument to support your thesis. For example, find somebody on this forum who determines the quality of music based on how many people don't listen to them. You may have to disregard the fact that almost all of the most popular bands in the genre (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer) are widely regarded as some of the finest the genre has ever produced, though.

You mean like Candlemass vs. Black Sabbath. Yea, I know; not a good example. For many die-hard Black Sabbath fans, the doomy Swedes are overwrought, atrociously theatrical 3rd grade worship of the former.

You mean like Candlemass vs. Black Sabbath. Yea, I know; not a good example. For many people that think metal as a whole began with Sabbath's S/T and ended Ozzy's departure, the doomy Swedes are overwrought, atrociously theatrical 3rd grade worship of the former.

Fixed. Anyone that thinks that fails at metal, quite simply.