Controversial opinions on metal

3)up front guitar has been a mostly standard policy of rock, the heavy stuff started with hardrock. Minor keys I dont get, it all converts to major to me, but Maiden used very basic common progressions and stood apart from hardrock in their constant usage of pedals and gallops, something actually started by hardrock bands such as Uriah Heep, Zeppelin, Heart, ect. One thing early metal guitar players did do was steered further away from pentatonic improv and I/IV/V progressions but again hardrock, progressive and fusion players did this first. The key word you used here was HEAVY, the crushing weight of the whole thing IS where heavy metal came from. The metal word also refering to the grateing of it, massive over driven distortion, thick grinding saturation.

Thank you for correcting/clarifying my point. I am no musician, so I suppose I shouldn't throw around music jargon. I agree that the use of a heavy, crushing guitar tone and of triplets (i.e. gallops) are more definitive of metal riffing.

Thank you for correcting/clarifying my point. I am no musician, so I suppose I shouldn't throw around music jargon. I agree that the use of a heavy, crushing guitar tone and of triplets (i.e. gallops) are more definitive of metal riffing.

you were on the right track but not fully encompassing, I only have basic theory and am a guitar hack at best. What I said and know could be expanded on much further and better detailed.

My controversial opinions...

Overkill sucks
Gorgoroth sucks
Megadeth is still awesome
Drone metal is awesome