Controversial opinions on metal

Pretty much.

To expand on my comment. I don't understand how this band can be so fawned over as being this uber epic group when they fail to actually create an epic climax in any their songs. It's like getting your dick sucked by some hot bitch and just before you bust it in her mouth she stops sucking and walks away. There's nothing super innovative or overwhelming about a plodding song with a bunch of tremolo picking and boring chord progressions.

The vocals are killer though.

The Coffin Ships has, for me, one of the most intense climaxes I have heard. I'd agree that a lot of their other material tends to meander about a bit aimlessly at times though.

Plus this is a cool album cover:

I actually managed to find a signed copy (by the lineup that recorded the album) of it from Ebay about 5 years ago. I asked the seller where she got it and she just said it was in a box of records that her friend gave her. So it might be fake but it looks fairly legit. Someone who signed it also drew a cartoon bunny face on the robed guy. I bid around 50 bucks on it but no one else bid, so got it for $5. Best Ebay bargain ever.

Helloween still makes real great albums, and for a band thats been playing for 25 years. Their one of the few still kicking fucking ass. Gambling with the Devil was fantastic.

Yeah, I agree. Everyone goes on about the Keepers, but they've pretty much put out good to excellent records most of their whole career, the only real exceptions being Chameleon and Pink Bubbles.

i cant stand primordial.

The few songs I heard from them I thought they were nowhere near as good as they were hyped up to be, maybe I just don't get it though. I'll go check out some of the songs recommended on this thread, see if any of it clicks.

I just forced myself to listen to Epitaph by Necrophagist (second full listen), and I've come to the conclusion that Necrophagist blows. Sure, Suicmez is an insanely talented guitarist, but he can't write a song to save his life, which isn't really shocking to me anymore because this is the way a lot of metal bands are nowadays.

I only have one Primordial album, "The Gathering Wilderness," and it's just okay. Never in the mood to really listen, which says something.

Is Ikuinen Kaamos considered "prog?" If so, then I guess I like a prog act.

I just forced myself to listen to Epitaph by Necrophagist (second full listen), and I've come to the conclusion that Necrophagist blows. Sure, Suicmez is an insanely talented guitarist, but he can't write a song to save his life, which isn't really shocking to me anymore because this is the way a lot of metal bands are nowadays.

Word. Any Dragonforce album is better written than Epitaph, I reckon.

Onset of Putrefaction has merit but I still find it pretty dull.

The few songs I heard from them I thought they were nowhere near as good as they were hyped up to be, maybe I just don't get it though. I'll go check out some of the songs recommended on this thread, see if any of it clicks.

For all you fucking haters.

Last edited by a moderator: