Controversial opinions on metal

I just forced myself to listen to Epitaph by Necrophagist (second full listen), and I've come to the conclusion that Necrophagist blows. Sure, Suicmez is an insanely talented guitarist, but he can't write a song to save his life, which isn't really shocking to me anymore because this is the way a lot of metal bands are nowadays.

Yeah, you have to really like hearing directionless yet impressive wankery sometimes to enjoy most of Necrophagist's stuff. I happen to like impressive wankery enough to throw it on every once in a while and not mind.

I just forced myself to listen to Epitaph by Necrophagist (second full listen), and I've come to the conclusion that Necrophagist blows. Sure, Suicmez is an insanely talented guitarist, but he can't write a song to save his life, which isn't really shocking to me anymore because this is the way a lot of metal bands are nowadays.

Word. Any Dragonforce album is better written than Epitaph, I reckon.

Onset of Putrefaction has merit but I still find it pretty dull.

"Only Ash Remains" is cool, but it's pretty retarded that they had to rip off Prokofiev for the ending.

:OMG:

Damn, I don't think i've ever seen Necrophagist hatin', but that's ok I guess....I see your points. I started listening to them when i was like 12 i think so i've just always fucking loved them, pure brutality with onset and just amazing amazing tone/production/riffage on epitaph.

I'd rather listen to most things than LTE. LTE would be good if I were cramming for a math test or something, maybe.

I think a lot of Necrophagist hate is just reactionary to all the Necrophagist worship that went down a couple years back. Similar to the Opeth phenomenon. Folks trying to burst the fanboy bubble.

Although a big fan of the real heavy stuff out there (CC, Morbid Angel, Lamb of God, Benediction etc etc) I sometimes listen to Poison when I'm feeling down.

<obligatory "So, in other words, you like the real heavy stuff even when feeling down" post goes here>

<obligatory "So, in other words, you like the real heavy stuff even when feeling down" post goes here>

Duuuude! Brutal shit can be a fucking blessing when you feel like raging out, but softer metal is just as good when you feel crappy. Just one year ago i would have killed myself rather than listen to crappy mainstream pop-with-some-metal-in-it Poison, but i've matured since then. Music dont have to be Job for a cowboy heavy just to be good.