Controversial opinions on metal

The problem with Keeper of the Seven Keys (both albums, especially the second, but we're speaking of the first one right now) is the inconsistency in the songwriting, reflected in the "too many chefs" mode of songwriting. Consider that the two weakest songs ("A Little Time" and "A Tale that Wasn't Right") were written by Kiske and Weikath respectively, the rest being written by Kai Hansen. Admittedly "Future World" isn't all that great either. But Most of Hansen's songs on the Keepers albums are excellent and on par with the Walls of Jericho songs, just played in a lighter and more commercial style. "I'm Alive", "Twilight of the Gods", and especially "Halloween" are all excellent songs, the last of which being the quintessential "Euro" Power Metal song as far as I'm concerned. Even if you look at part 2, the two songs that Hansen wrote, "I Want Out" and "March of Time" are once again pretty much the highlights of the album.

Plus this is a cool album cover:

678.jpg

Nah. Just about everything surpasses Keeper pt 1, whereas WoT is decidedly above average for generic high fantasy.

I forced myself to read through these, and the majority of WoT is dry as dry can be. Lord of Chaos by far being the worst book. I quit with 2 books to go, just didn't even care how it ended anymore.

It means those are bands that pretty much everyone either likes or at least respects. No one would ever criticize anyone for liking any of them.

I picked it up when I was like 12, so I guess it has some nostalgic value to me, and also the quality of the writing has improved. W/e.

Well what do you want me to say? That bands that aren't my favorites and are more openly criticized are my favorites?

I forced myself to read through these, and the majority of WoT is dry as dry can be. Lord of Chaos by far being the worst book. I quit with 2 books to go, just didn't even care how it ended anymore.

Of course most generic high fantasy is pretty fucking lame. Everyone understood that, right?

I am grinding my way through that one right now. Past page 400 and not a lot has happened. His female characters (with a few exceptions) are still annoying as hell, but something keeps me reading.

I am grinding my way through that one right now. Past page 400 and not a lot has happened. His female characters (with a few exceptions) are still annoying as hell, but something keeps me reading.

Spoiler: by the end, still nothing has really happened, and the female characters are annoying all the way to the end of the series (or what I read of it). The only cool thing from that series is the name Rand Al'Thor.

Raymond Feist, David Gemmell, and George RR Martin all write far superior fantasy. If you want a truly superior fiction read of a non fantasy type, read "The Walking Drum" by Louis L'Amour (it's not a western).

In my teens I read 15 books or something of WoT before I got tired and quit, what a big waste of time. Didn't the guy who wrote them die before he finished the story too?

Helloween still makes real great albums, and for a band thats been playing for 25 years. Their one of the few still kicking fucking ass. Gambling with the Devil was fantastic.

:OMG:

While I love all their stuff, I'd say that everything since "The Gathering Wilderness" has at least been worthy of precum.

On Primordial: Good, but not boner worthy. There, I said it.

Pretty much.

To expand on my comment. I don't understand how this band can be so fawned over as being this uber epic group when they fail to actually create an epic climax in any their songs. It's like getting your dick sucked by some hot bitch and just before you bust it in her mouth she stops sucking and walks away. There's nothing super innovative or overwhelming about a plodding song with a bunch of tremolo picking and boring chord progressions.

The vocals are killer though.

Pretty much.

To expand on my comment. I don't understand how this band can be so fawned over as being this uber epic group when they fail to actually create an epic climax in any their songs. It's like getting your dick sucked by some hot bitch and just before you bust it in her mouth she stops sucking and walks away. There's nothing super innovative or overwhelming about a plodding song with a bunch of tremolo picking and boring chord progressions.

The vocals are killer though.

You say "in any [of] their songs" as though you've listened to all of them when you clearly haven't, otherwise you'd know that songs like "As Rome Burns," "Fallen to Ruin" and "Sons of the Morrigan" have fucking awesome climactic moments.