Controversial opinions on metal

My sarcasm meter is quite broken. Wait, HamburgerBoy, are you actually serious?

About Manilla Road, entirely serious. About Bathory, 80% serious with a little bit of trolling and hyperbole mixed in. I won't deny that the latter is influential, but Quothorn's supposed genius/inventiveness is far overstated.

I dunno if I'd call early Bathory "glorified speed/thrash metal"

The first album definitely is. Shittily produced NWOBHM worship with a barely-audible Schmier-style goblin on vocals does not make a black metal defining release. The Return is an improvement, but still hardly the primal gr1m masterpiece it is made out to be. Under the Sign... and Blood Fire Death are the only decent Bathory albums.

Not near as nails on a chalkboard as most of Halford's work.

I kind of like Halford's voice on certain albums, but you're right... it's pretty high pitched.

I actually like Schuldiner's vocals as his career progressed(even though he was clearly fucking up his throat as he got older) which is kinda odd because I prefer the riffing on the older songs, but his voice on that cover is so painful to listen to. Tim Aymar's singing in Control Denied is horrible too. :puke:

Manilla Road are a hell of a fuckload better than most heavy metal bands.

Manilla Road is only better than the ninth-tier Manilla Road clones Longings Past. Otherwise, no, not at all.

Darrell Abbott solos > Chuck Schuldiner solos

Controversius maximus.

I probably agree, especially since it seems like everytime a Death solo makes me jizz myself it turns out to be whatever other guitarist is in the band. And Cowboys From Hell as a whole is one of the best collections of guitar solos one can find.

EDIT: On the subject of Darrell, what the hell is this?

Aside from the spray-painted "DIMEBAG RIP" in the background it looks like a storm came by and blew trash over those rocks, where it collected.

Actually, somehow I didn't notice that crucifix wreath thing until just now, so ok, I guess it bares some resemblance to a tribute, even though the guy on the left appears to be pissing near it.