Controversial opinions on metal

I dunno if I'd call early Bathory "glorified speed/thrash metal"

I was reallly pleased when Varg mentioned that they considered the early black metal bands to be thrash. Because I've always had a stick up my butt about the "second wave" moniker. ;)

Influence doesn't equal invention...

I was reallly pleased when Varg mentioned that they considered the early black metal bands to be thrash.

Why? Destruction? Thrash. Sodom? Thrash. Venom's heaviest 80's material? Thrash. Sarcofago? Thrash, although moving away from it admittedly. Bathory's first album? Thrash. Celtic Frost? Thrash. Black metal had very little meaning in a musical context until the second wave came into being.

Why? Destruction? Thrash. Sodom? Thrash. Venom's heaviest 80's material? Thrash. Sarcofago? Thrash, although moving away from it admittedly. Bathory's first album? Thrash. Celtic Frost? Thrash. Black metal had very little meaning in a musical context until the second wave came into being.

Precisely.

I will confess that I frequently find guitar solos uninteresting, largely because a lot of bands include them merely out of a sense of duty, like "we're a metal band, we'd better have a solo." On the other hand, when there are no solos you tend to notice they're missing. So I guess the conclusion is that bad solos are bad.

Think of the implications! If you carry that thinking on to other aspects of the recording, it would suggest that bad vocals are bad, that bad drumming is bad, and that bad lyrics are...wait, those are still awesome.

I prefer it when solos are unpredictable and appear all around the music, rather than being a simple two verse -> solo -> 3rd verse formula. Or like in a lot of Blind Guardian where there is a solo-type lead guitar playing over the top throughout the track. It can be quite tiresome when they seem just there for the sake of it.

A lot of DM is good for this, randomly breaking into a guitar solo whenever they feel like it, its the best way.