Controversial opinions on metal

Ja. <3

Although to stay on the topic of controversy, his solos on the first two Coroner full-lengths weren't so great as a whole. Some brilliance, but a lot of rehashed ideas as well. No More Color through the S/T are the pinnacle.

The best solo in all of metal is the one in "The Saints" by Helloween

It's definitely great but it's not the best in Metal. I wouldn't even say it's near Helloween's best. Ride the Sky, Eagle fly Free (Bass, Drum and Guitar), Midnight Sun, Wake up the Mountain and Halloween have a few 'weenie solos that I can think of off the top of my head that are all as good or better than the one's from The Saints.

It's a toss up between opening riff of Immortal's Solarfall and the opening riff of Ride the Sky for the best riff in all of metal though.

Opening riff of Ride the Sky? The vaguely concealed Impaler/Trapped Under Ice copycat? Fuck that overrated song. Best riff goes to either Megadeth's The Conjuring (2:57), Coroner's Pale Sister (4:01), or Destruction's Curse the Gods (4:00). All breakdowns, interestingly enough.

Slayer solos are like grindcore. They're mostly terrible but that's kind of the point and I still really like them.

Not a huge slayer fan, but yeah I agree. It kinda shits me when people go on about how Slayer's solos are so shit because they're not technical. The point isn't technicality, but more of an accurate reproduction of the sound of someone being sawed to death, screams and all.

Opening riff of Ride the Sky? The vaguely concealed Impaler/Trapped Under Ice copycat? Fuck that overrated song. Best riff goes to either Megadeth's The Conjuring (2:57), Coroner's Pale Sister (4:01), or Destruction's Curse the Gods (4:00). All breakdowns, interestingly enough.

Haha, yeah it is a bit of a rip off of Trapped Under Ice. As for Impaler, I was about to go, 'Nuh Uh, that was written way after Ride the Sky.' But then I Googled it and realised that it was written for TUI, so yeah, thanks Google for making me keep my mouth shut and not looking like more of an idiot again. If I had a dollar for every time I thought that...

Speaking of stolen riffs, is there a 'This Riff sounds like this other Riff' thread around here? That would open a fair bit of interesting discussion about who wrote what first, or whether someone stole a riff or merely was influenced by it.

I think the it might be the Welcome to Hell/Curse of the Pharaohs/2 Minutes to Midnight of speed and thrash. Possessed's Death Metal, Realm's Endless War, and Manowar's Wheels of Fire all use variants of the riff as well, not to mention some lower-tier bands.

EDIT: Oh, and for a related and shouldn't-be-controversial-but-is-for-some-reason post: Mustaine's contributions to the first two Metallica records are completely overstated and anyone that says otherwise should be cock-gagged (but not by Mustaine; it wouldn't be a punishment then) for being such a lame fanboy.

That generalization is perfectly accurate for me, though. I hate more or less every guitar solo I've ever heard. If I strain my head real hard I can maybe think of a solo or two that didn't bore me to tears, but not one that I actually liked. When I hear a guitar solo I sigh and wait for the music to continue.

If you post examples of solos that you consider actually good, I'll promise to listen to them with an open mind.

EDIT: Actually, I love the solo in Deep Peace. It's so damn good I never even thought of it as a guitar solo.

Blind Guardian solos are mostly well thought out and actually integrated with the music, none of that random "intuitive improvision" crap.

173381.jpg

I'm kicking myself for choosing to go home over going to Bloodstock or Wacken this summer. That is not controversial, but I'm very sad because I haven't been to a proper metal gig in a year and a half or more.

No.

I think Reign in Blood is over-rated.

Touche.

Nobody can deny the awesome power of Angel of Death and Raining Blood, though. I'll agree that the middle part isn't nearly as good, but it's still awesome enough.

Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death is the album Darkness Descends wishes it was.