Controversial opinions on metal

I've never listened to anything after Heathenreel. Maybe I should get on that.

Idk if you'd like anything. They get pretty gay and poppy.

Two Tragedy Poets is not a metal album at all, but it's fun and catchy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxtpB2o28v0&feature=related[/ame]
(They really like gang vocals)

The Scythe is kind of gothy powercore. Catchy as aids, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend said I'm fucked up when I told him that I don't find Behemoth an elite death/black metal band. Moreover I think they are pretty average. But to be perfectly honest, I like Evangelion but other than that Behemoth are not some kind of top notch band in my opinion.

I remember at a concert someone suggested them to play something from Grom, Nergal refused by saying "These were the old days". They quickly abandoned black metal, so I got to give them credit for beign consistent with playing death metal for all these years.

Eh I love Satanica and Thelema.6 but haven't been able to get into any of the albums since then really. Demigod has a few kickass songs, admittedly, but is pretty boring to listen to all the way through. Haven't given the new one a proper listen yet.

Apostasy is >>> Demigod and Evangelion, although Conquer All, Slaves Shall Serve, and Ov Fire And The Void are the three best songs from those albums. Very consistent album, with some serious quality tunes.

If it wasn't for the hopelessly repetitive choruses and a couple of less-than-inspired songs (see: The Nomad) it would be. Merely good as it is.

Behemoth sucks ass, Nergal is just about the only DM vocalist who is more boring to listen to than Chris Barnes.

X Factor was a good album, but not really prog. More experimental, I suppose? I thought Blaze Bailey did what Paul Di'Anno did vocally, only better.

Another "rattling of the wasps' nest":
Thomas Lindberg is an excellent vocalist.
Alex Webster is an excellent bassist.
Gene Hoglan is an excellent drummer.
Jesper Strombladt (sp?) is an excellent guitarist.
Fuck you, I said "excellent" 4 times.

X Factor was a good album, but not really prog. More experimental, I suppose? I thought Blaze Bailey did what Paul Di'Anno did vocally, only better.

I disagree with the entire statement. Though it wasn't really as bad as people make it out to be, it still is far from being a good album IMO. And I find Bailey supremely inferior to Di'Anno. In certain cases, I prefer his vocals to even Bruce's. For eg. I prefer Di'Anno performance of Wrathchild to Bruce's live renditions.

Another "rattling of the wasps' nest":
Alex Webster is an excellent bassist.
Gene Hoglan is an excellent drummer.

I don't find that one bit controversial and haven't really encountered anyone who disagrees with that.

With respect to Stromblad, I don't mind calling the early-90s Jesper an innovator of sorts. There was a phase in my life when I really liked his music so that shall be dear to me. However, the Jesper of the Reroute era shall forever go down in my bad books as the guy who directly influenced a whole bunch of shit and that's unforgivable.

Apostasy is >>> Demigod and Evangelion, although Conquer All, Slaves Shall Serve, and Ov Fire And The Void are the three best songs from those albums. Very consistent album, with some serious quality tunes.

Apostasy=Demigod=Evangelion

All good. But none of them as good as Thelema 6 or Zos Kia Cultus.