Controversial opinions on metal

The 2nd track on HLTO is my least favorite of the 4, but with the other three it still tops Filosofem, but that album would probably stand a better chance if the ambient track was about 15-20 minutes shorter.

I think this is controversial..:
Faustcoven > Hail

Not quite metal, but influential on metal:

Led Zeppelin is entirely overrated. Robert Plant's voice is terrible.

Moderately disagree. Led Zeppelin was a great band, but I can't stand to listen to them anymore. Rock radio has beat that dead horse to a pulp. Robert Plant isn't a great vocalist, true, but the bar for rock and metal vocals didn't really get raised until the late 1970's.

I like LZ, but I do agree they are highly overrated. Especially Page, as a guitarist.

also. controversial: At The Gates only quality work was Gardens of Grief.

Is there something wrong with the 3rd track? Sometimes I feel like it's the best song on that album.

nah it owns, but it's the most inaccessible thing on there i would say. or at least it took me a while to really appreciate it, whereas the first 2 stood out as great very quickly.

Not that I agree with Velocibrad, but GOG is indeed the BEST thing they released. People tend to skip that in discussions and jump right to TRITSIO. The first three songs on GOG top everything on TRITSIO.
On the other hand it's not completely fair towards TRITSIO to compare single songs, as that one works best as a journey from beginning to end.

I put on Filosofem when I was driving around with the ex one day and she hated it. She said it physically hurt to listen to it. Can't blame her. It's amazing what you can get used to after years of listening to extreme music, and Filosofem isn't even nearly the most off-putting stuff bm has to offer. I like it but less than I used to. It doesn't hold up as well as HLTO imo.

What would you consider the most off-putting stuff BM has to offer, Cythraul?

I'm thinking of Ildjarn or maybe some of the LLN stuff that I've heard. As much as I love bm, I don't think I'll ever be able to get into that stuff.