Controversial opinions on metal

I'm dumbfounded to hear that Filosofem is considered off-putting. I always considered it to be the most accessible second wave BM album, for people who don't listen to metal. It's very ambient and melodic, almost like ethereal noise rock. I mean, I'm sure the other Burzum albums would be more accessible for metalheads, but for somebody who doesn't listen to metal, Filosofem seems like the obvious place to start on Burzum. If somebody doesn't listen to anything heavy, I could see it as off-putting. But if they're familiar with moderately gritty stuff like grunge, nu metal, punk, I can't really see it being that much of a problem.... Ah well.

Filosofem is by far the only interesting Burzum album (Aske EP is not too bad either). I use to hate his shit before checking that out, now I just think he is overrated as fuck. But the whole Norwegian black metal "sub-genre" is massive overrate, so what could you expect.

Gothenburg style death metal is the worst kind of death metal.

it isn't even death metal

While you may be correct, Mort, you are dead wrong, Brad. Nothing can be worse than what some call "hyperblast" death metal (Hate Eternal, et al, i.e. bands that never deviate from blast beats and rehashed Morbid Angel riffs). Of course, I'm biased, as I love melodeath.

Another good example. The problem with those bands is that they have/had good musicians (Eric Rutan and Derek Roddy in Hate Eternal and Dave Suzuki in Vital Remains) in their lineups, but completely miss the mark or writing memorable songs. I think Nile and Krisiun are the only bands that play anything close to this style that I enjoy.

I'm dumbfounded to hear that Filosofem is considered off-putting. I always considered it to be the most accessible second wave BM album, for people who don't listen to metal. It's very ambient and melodic, almost like ethereal noise rock. I mean, I'm sure the other Burzum albums would be more accessible for metalheads, but for somebody who doesn't listen to metal, Filosofem seems like the obvious place to start on Burzum. If somebody doesn't listen to anything heavy, I could see it as off-putting. But if they're familiar with moderately gritty stuff like grunge, nu metal, punk, I can't really see it being that much of a problem.... Ah well.

I find "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" to be far more accessible personally. I would guess that most nonmetal listeners are coming from a pop/rock background rather than a noise/grunge one and would be put off by the sheer noise factor and harsh guitar tone.

Yeah, it's the guitar tone combined with the repetition that puts certain people off. HLTO has a lot of repetition too, but I think it's more dynamic and complex than Filosofem and its guitar sound is much easier on the ears.