Controversial opinions on metal

Oh snap!

Ole Öhman completely ruins The Somberlain with his un-tightness and overall awkward actions behind the drums. It's seriously a tragedy that that album doesn't have decent drums, because Jon's guitar work is really good from start to finish. I don't know what happened in the time between The Somberlain and Storm Of The Light's Bane, but Ole really improved his playing on the latter. Too bad that Jon's guitar work isn't as good on that one.

Bought the Fifth Chapter a few weeks ago...it's at home and I'm in fucking Montreal, still haven't heard it but I've listened to stuff from both Sacrilege albums and they're pretty fucking good.

The Fifth Season is the name of the record. And yes, it's fucking awesome stuff.

I haven't heard anything off Beauty, but if it's anything like The Fifth Season I need to get a hold of it. They're one of the most aggressive and catchy bands to emerge around the start of the Gothenburg melodeath scene (although they're not considered part of the scene).

It's the audience. For metal fans, no. But which album do the hipsters listen to? It's got to be Filosofem. Filosofem is as close to ambient noise as it is to metal. That makes it a starting point for people who aren't interested in metal. Filosofem has 'transcendentale' but it also has a handful of shorter songs which would be the album's most accessible (and probably best). I like how ANUS put it, Filosofem "evolves to minimalism and devolves into pop music" or sthng w/e. :D

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is far and away the least accesssible in my mind. Only a relatively small percentage of people enjoy listening to 15 minute songs. Obviously we do, but that's not the question here. For metal fans I'd say Det Som Engang Var is the most accessible, with short, catchy songs.

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss was the first Burzum album I heard and still my favourite compared to the rest of his discography.

I can't fucking stand dream theater, and find them insufferably boring.
And while I'm at it, Ozzy Osbourne has the most obnoxious voice in music, the first and second waves of Black Metal are garbage, Pure/brutal death metal/grind can suck my left -and- right testicles, 80's Thrash...don't even get me started. Devin Townsend's music outside of SYL is heaps better than SYL, and I enjoy Bal-Sagoth sincerely, and without even the slightest hint of irony.

As for Neurosis, if you find the more atmospheric post-metal qualities of their more recent work to be rather boring and slightly pretentious, check out The Word as Law. And since we're on the subject of controversy, I think it's their best album, though Souls at zero comes a close second.

Oh, and fuck Pantera.

Matt Barlow was/is the worst Iced Earth vocalist. Everything they've released with him is even more mediocre than their other stuff.

Also, The Mantle is Agalloch's worst album.

I love Agalloch, but its by far their worst, way too much filler, still a decent album though.

The only track I can see as filler is maybe The Lodge, whereas multiple parts of Pale Folklore still aren't memorable, and Ashes Against the Grain has a less than stellar finale.

Matt Barlow was/is the worst Iced Earth vocalist. Everything they've released with him is even more mediocre than their other stuff.

On the contrary, I feel Iced Earth's material with Barlow is their greatest (with the exception of The Crucible of Man). The material with Ripper was easily their worst. Im not too fond of Greely or Adam either...

He sounds much better than Ripper Owens imo. Way better.

Agreed.