Controversial opinions on metal

I'd probably go with Nile, but man I really dislike both of those bands a great deal. In Flames for being one of the first bands to spur that whole Gothenburg style, and Nile just because I find them so boring.

Though they are both better than Hate Eternal.

I don't dislike In Flames or Gothenburg in general so I'd pick them. I mainly just wanted to see your head explode or at least some veins pop out.

I've never listened to Hate Eternal at any depth. Just a song here and there, nothing impressive.

I can't choose either. I enjoy songs by both bands, but they are far from the bands I typically listen to. Dark Tranquillity is the only Gothenburg band I like (a lot, actually). As for Nile, I'm just not into modern death metal, and have been a on a massive old-school kick lately.

I'll take Sacrilege - Lost in the Beauty You Slay over any other Gothenfag crap any day of the week.

I'll break down my taste in death, from favorite to least:
Tampa Bay DM > melodeath > old-school Swede-death and Finn-death > technical death > brutal death > death-grind > deathcore > death doom > all other DM sub-genres > Hate Eternal and all subsequent clones

I'll take Sacrilege - Lost in the Beauty You Slay over any other Gothenfag crap any day of the week.

I have The Fifth Season and it's some pretty awesome melodic-esque death metal. Their riffs suggest a melodic death influence, but they sound so fucking evil.

EDIT: I haven't listened to this album in a while, but just put it on. God, they were a fucking awesome band.

I've never heard it but I'm incredibly skeptical given how rarely it's mentioned, compared to say, Altars of Madness, The Rack, or Onward to Golgotha.

I'd definitely place it above all of those albums. Really the only death metal album that I would even place above it is The Red in the Sky is Ours.

I'm glad we see eye to eye. I can't believe anyone would list "Filosofem" as one of the most accessible 2nd wave bm albums.

It's the audience. For metal fans, no. But which album do the hipsters listen to? It's got to be Filosofem. Filosofem is as close to ambient noise as it is to metal. That makes it a starting point for people who aren't interested in metal. Filosofem has 'transcendentale' but it also has a handful of shorter songs which would be the album's most accessible (and probably best). I like how ANUS put it, Filosofem "evolves to minimalism and devolves into pop music" or sthng w/e. :D

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is far and away the least accesssible in my mind. Only a relatively small percentage of people enjoy listening to 15 minute songs. Obviously we do, but that's not the question here. For metal fans I'd say Det Som Engang Var is the most accessible, with short, catchy songs.

I've never heard it but I'm incredibly skeptical given how rarely it's mentioned, compared to say, Altars of Madness, The Rack, or Onward to Golgotha.

It's 5 starred on half of the forum's elitest population's rym's last time I creeped around, that should be enough for you. It's definitely taken a few listens to digest, but it's entering into my top 5 finally.

Bought the Fifth Chapter a few weeks ago...it's at home and I'm in fucking Montreal, still haven't heard it but I've listened to stuff from both Sacrilege albums and they're pretty fucking good.