Controversial opinions on metal

To be entirely honest I'm a bit dissapointed at how soft metal is. I think it should be heavier. Like, blast beats all the time, just total sonic destruction. Not ALL metal should be like that (far, far from it), but I do feel like the "heaviest" bands aren't nearly heavy enough. Too much melody, not enough massacring of the ears. I mean bands like Cryptopsy were very heavy when I started listening to them, but now all I hear is melody. I guess it's like a heroin addiction, I keep needing a heavier sound just to get back to how heavy it used to feel.

well if you wanna hear just complete noise listen to carcass' flesh ripping sonic torment demo or somthin like that.

To be entirely honest I'm a bit dissapointed at how soft metal is. I think it should be heavier. Like, blast beats all the time, just total sonic destruction. Not ALL metal should be like that (far, far from it), but I do feel like the "heaviest" bands aren't nearly heavy enough. Too much melody, not enough massacring of the ears. I mean bands like Cryptopsy were very heavy when I started listening to them, but now all I hear is melody. I guess it's like a heroin addiction, I keep needing a heavier sound just to get back to how heavy it used to feel.

Way to support the metal stereotype. :rolleyes:

*sigh* You guys are quite quick to judge. If you read carefully though, I specifically said that only a LITTLE BIT of metal should be as heavy as possible. I have no warped view of what metal is about. I only want to push it further than it's gone before, in both heaviness and softness.

Is there anything wrong with thinking the heaviest bands aren't anywhere near as heavy as they could be? Nope. I know that's not what "metal is about." But it is an aspect of metal, and a unique one at that. I only want to take it as far as it can go. And it has a ways to go. There's countless melodic bands out there... how many bands achieve a state of dissonance? I'm sure there's plenty who try, but I'm not sure there's many who succeed. To non-metal fans everything we listen to sounds like screaming noise, but to us it sounds intricate, melodic, and clear, even the heaviest stuff sounds normal.

p.s. I was introduced to metal through Metallica, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and Meshuggah... I bet a lot of ya'll are just the same. ;)

p.s. Thanks Scissors!

*sigh* You guys are quite quick to judge. If you read carefully though, I specifically said that only a LITTLE BIT of metal should be as heavy as possible. I have no warped view of what metal is about. I only want to push it further than it's gone before, in both heaviness and softness.

Is there anything wrong with thinking the heaviest bands aren't anywhere near as heavy as they could be? Nope. I know that's not what "metal is about." But it is an aspect of metal, and a unique one at that. I only want to take it as far as it can go. And it has a ways to go. There's countless melodic bands out there... how many bands achieve a state of dissonance? I'm sure there's plenty who try, but I'm not sure there's many who succeed. To non-metal fans everything we listen to sounds like screaming noise, but to us it sounds intricate, melodic, and clear, even the heaviest stuff sounds normal.

p.s. I was introduced to metal through Metallica, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and Meshuggah... I bet a lot of ya'll are just the same. ;)

p.s. Thanks Scissors!

I think you should listen to my project in my sig. I think you'd like it :)

I don't like BC Rich or Jackson (except for the high end stuff).
I like punk, and even some pop punk... and pop. And rap.
I think Reload is mad good, and (oh shit) I even liked the last song.

How are any of those supposed to be controversial opinions on metal?

p.s. Thanks Scissors!

:guh: What?

SOAD Pwnz!
There i said it. Half of my E-Friends hate me for that :p
The only NU-metal(if you want to consider them as that) I've listened to...along with a little bit of disturbed.