Controversial opinions on metal

I was just being playful, lol. Some of my favourite bands include shit like Porcupine Tree, Deftones, and Parkway Drive. :S

Deftones are great, and definately don't deserve to be lumped in with the Korns and Limp Bizkits.

+1. I love the Deftones. Perhaps you missed that trolling through my last.fm :) I kid, I kid. But the Deftones rule for sure.

I think standard black metal vocals are pretty much the biggest obstacle of new listeners to extreme music. (especially if you started with death metal)

And I certainly am starting with death, I've listened to very little but Human and Alters out and about the last few days.

Early Mastodon is really fucking easily sludge and not really progressive outside of the drum work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sludge is basically what happens when doom gets mixed with hardcore.

The more traditional brand of sludge is pretty bluesy and the doom is more prominent:

Then Neurosis came along and took influences from these bands, even more hardcore punk, and some Swans as well as tribal music and ambient and created.

Mastodon took this sound that Neurosis pioneered and streamlined the everliving fuck out of it to something that was catchy and much more easily digestible (but still very good.) Though they eventually would drop most of their sludge aspects sometime around Leviathan.

Last edited by a moderator: