Controversial opinions on metal

Ewwwww... you like that beefy pro-tools black metal? The Backstreet Boys' producer has no place in the world of black metal. None at all. All those ultra-clean producers can go record Hair Metal bands and stop fucking over good bm.

Now you're going to the opposite extreme. I like my black metal produced the same way I like all metal to be mixed in the studio - clear, yet with an underlying "rawness". Blizzard Beasts would be a good example. The only over-produced BM I like is Dummy Booger, and I only like their middle-era for the most part. When I think of "minimalistic, fuzzy black metal", I think of unlistenable shit like Striborg and Nahar.

Maybe it's because some of us are smart enough to realize a band may not 'suck' just because we don't like their sound.

Well, maybe I think some of us aren't smart enough to realize that you can't have it both ways. If I'm not allowed to blatantly bash a band, then your not allowed to praise a band. Sorry.

So anyway...

Onward to Golgotha is one of my least favorite Incantation albums
Malevolent Creation - Stillborn and Deicide - Once Upon the Cross are good albums.
Nunslaughter isnt praised enough.
Necrosanct - Incarnate is one of the great forgotten osdm albums.
First couple Vital Remains albums > First couple Deicide albums. (both are good though)
Hypocrisy - The Fourth Dimension is one of the best melodic death metal albums in existence.
Adramelech - Psychostasia > Demigod - Slumber of the Sullen Eyes

I like the song Iron Fist... but that's the only song of theirs I can tolerate, and that's only because I got into the (frankly, superior) Sodom version first.

We're in the same boat on that one.

most grindcore just sounds like noise(i.e agoraphobic nosebleed)

I agree.

behemoth is nothing special
most black metal is nothing special

I'll add: most black metal, at this point, has more in common with punk rock than black metal, or death metal.

But are they good just because you like their sound?

Haha, I came here to post something like that.

That's the eternal argument on metal forums.

One person says, "That band sucks!"

The next says, "Well, that's just your opinion!"

Then someone points out, "That's just your opinion!" to them.

On and on, south of heaven...

I think some music sucks, and whether everyone understands that or not doesn't matter. It sucks, and denying that is like having your balls cut off.

The first two Rotting Christ albums get lots of praise, but I would say the third and fourth are VASTLY superior in pretty much every way.

So anyway...

Onward to Golgotha is one of my least favorite Incantation albums
Malevolent Creation - Stillborn and Deicide - Once Upon the Cross are good albums.
Nunslaughter isnt praised enough.
Necrosanct - Incarnate is one of the great forgotten osdm albums.
First couple Vital Remains albums > First couple Deicide albums. (both are good though)
Hypocrisy - The Fourth Dimension is one of the best melodic death metal albums in existence.
Adramelech - Psychostasia > Demigod - Slumber of the Sullen Eyes

........ this is very controversial. Nunslaughter sucks though.

By "minimalistic, lo-fi fuzzy BM" I sure as hell hope you don't mean that "greatest black metal album of the 00's". Also, that's not in the tradition of Burzum AT ALL. More like in the tradition of 666Satanic Army666.

I mean it in whatever way the first guy to post it meant. I was just too lazy to quote him.

Ahahaha the stuff written on that page is such hilarious bullshit. That's why I love it. Taking things seriously is so 20 years ago. HOWEVER about Burzum, I agree. Anybody who copies Burzum outright is a tool... Varg was all about originality. To follow Buruzm, one must not sound like Burzum. That much is actually true.

For what reason? The first two sound like mid-paced directionless melodic guitar noodling with shitty programmed drums and terrible vocals. They have atmosphere, yes, but no more than the third and fourth albums, where the compositions had improved dramatically, the riffing style was more varied, and the vocals had improved at least slightly. The first two aren't bad at all, but they seem bland to me.

The first two sound like mid-paced directionless melodic guitar noodling

Really? I mainly want to defend Non Serviam, and I don't see what's directionless about that album. Have we listened to the same album?

with shitty programmed drums

I generally don't like programmed drums but I do not find them intolerable on early RC albums.

terrible vocals.

I really do not see what is so terrible about the vocals.

They have atmosphere, yes, but no more than the third and fourth albums, where the compositions had improved dramatically

I don't know what you consider an improvement in composition. They are certainly catchier, and more technically adept, but I don't consider that an improvement in composition.

the riffing style was more varied

Don't care.

but they seem bland to me.

I can see how parts of the debut album might seem bland, but I don't think the second album is bland at all. I really don't know what to tell you.

I will give them another chance, but I fell asleep while listening to both of the first two albums and after getting Triarchy, never really reached for them. It's just weird because I hear both of them lauded as masterpieces of Greek black metal and never a mention of Triarchy of the Lost Lovers onwards. Possibly because they moved further away from black metal?
As far as the vocals, I take that back, his vocals are mediocre and oddly enunciated across their entire discography.
Also, Passage To Arcturo indicates that their work prior to the debut was just utterly intolerable.

I'm not sure if it's allowed for "this forum noobs" to post their controversial opinions here,but anyways here it goes:I like Necrophagist. :p

Is Entombed generally thought well of?

First three albums are generally liked. (or atleast should be)

I'm not sure if it's allowed for "this forum noobs" to post their controversial opinions here,but anyways here it goes:I like Necrophagist. :p

It's not like post count means anything. Feel free to jump in and argue for days like the regular tards here. ;)

Entombed is ace. I used to feel the vocals weren't harsh enough (probably said so in this very thread), but I started to like them a lot when I started listening to less harsh forms of music again.