Controversial opinions on metal

Christopher Lee's Charlemagne album/musical metal opera type thing is pretty bad.

But bless his heart, he's trying.

And cmon, an 80 year old getting into metal is pretty cool.

Silencer's vocals are great.

I agree, he actually sounds genuinely demented and tormented. Fits the music perfectly.

Symphonic power metal fucking sucks.

Especially when a band can't afford the orchestra so just use layers of terrible sounding keyboards as a substitute. Symphonic power metal done correctly though can kick fair amounts of arse. eg Opening track off the new Blind Guardian album.

The original Rhapsody voiceover guy cancels out a million times the awesomeness of Christopher Lee. Seriously, worst fucking narration ever.

Thick Italian accent? I always forget they're a wop band.

Nattramn sounds like Cartman. "Demented" is not always the appropriate thing to complement the songs.

I absolutely detest operatic vocals in metal. Some singers I can stand, but the vast majority hurt my ears. Female operatic vocals are the absolute worse though.

Leaves' Eyes -lovelorn is a great album. Liv sounds amazing. Can't say I like anything after.

This video scares the shit out of me - what the FUCK is going on? Also it is this song where he sounds like Cartman. The vocals at 3:00 ish are silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my controversial opinion. Although I enjoy the second wave of black metal, there's so many better bands nowadays that the older bands bore the fuck out of me.

I have only ever heard one Abruptum song, "Der Profundis sdgfjsdfjsdgfshgfjsdvblah." I think Silencer would actually be very good if you took out the vocals.