Controversial opinions on metal

Apparently you and Cyth call anything classified as metal that has non-metal characteristics as "false metal" and this sole fact alone is enough evidence that it shouldn't be listened to.

Maybe it looks that way to you, but it's not true. I like plenty of metal that has non-metal characteristics. As a matter of fact, lately I've been enjoying the album Celephais by the symphonic black metal band Cryogenic, which has a bunch of fruity ass whimsical keyboards in it. I like some folk metal too. And presumably extreme metal wouldn't exist without hardcore punk influence, so the mere fact that I enjoy extreme metal already shows that I'm into a hybrid genre. Plus there are plenty of metal bands that have classical influence that I enjoy. So basically you're wrong.

Maybe it looks that way to you, but it's not true. I like plenty of metal that has non-metal characteristics. As a matter of fact, lately I've been enjoying the album Celephais by the symphonic black metal band Cryogenic, which has a bunch of fruity ass whimsical keyboards in it. I like some folk metal too. And presumably extreme metal wouldn't exist without hardcore punk influence, so the mere fact that I enjoy extreme metal already shows that I'm into a hybrid genre. Plus there are plenty of metal bands that have classical influence that I enjoy. So basically you're wrong.

So basically, what you're saying is... "nuh-uh."

:kickass:

Chris, didn't you say you like the first Equilibrium album or something? I vaguely recall that. I had it on earlier; good shit.

I always thought it was catchy and fun, but it certainly ain't going on any 'best of' list of mine. Their second album on the other hand is the audial essence of a gay orgy.

I always thought it was catchy and fun, but it certainly ain't going on any 'best of' list of mine. Their second album on the other hand is the audial essence of a gay orgy.

I don't understand the difference. The first and second albums sound, on average, basically the same. How is the first one catchy and cool if the second one is a gay orgy? Or is it just because they continued in the exact same vein and didn't change?

I don't understand the difference. The first and second albums sound, on average, basically the same. How is the first one catchy and cool if the second one is a gay orgy? Or is it just because they continued in the exact same vein and didn't change?

I now present to you the gayest fucking thing ever:

Last edited by a moderator:
It does sound a little gayer and fruitier; the keyboard voices sometimes approach or straddle "inappropriate", and it seems to be a little less riffy.

edit: yeah as I said, shit like Unbeseigt has some really fruity stuff going on, that's a lot worse sounding and more histrionic than anything on Turis Fratyr. It becomes problematic when the guitar is reduced to little more than a scratching sound, and the reggaeton beat doesn't help things (then again, a Melechesh song off Sphynx, with fucking Proscriptor drumming to boot, has a reggaeton beat too). Also the "mead" song ("Met", obviously) on TF is awesome and badass.

I now present to you the gayest fucking thing ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWjVWOIRaOE

Thank you for posting a song I've already heard. Now tell me: how is this any different than the first album? All I'm quesioning is where they're different.

"Unbesiegt" has a terribly fruity, gay intro; but I don't see how the melodies or chord progressions are any different than anything on Turis Fratyr.

Nothing on the first can beat the gay orgy that is the "flute" keyboard hook in "Heimwarts" or the fake strings keyboard hook in "Blut im Auge."

ObscureInfinity is the e-equivalent of that guy who says to a black guy "You fucking my pals, get lynched" and qualifies it with "Calm down dude it was a joke."

Because musical intolerance is the equivelant of racism.

You interpreted it differently to how I meant it actually. I was just referring to how you make these really strong blanket statements/declarations and then when someone questions it you back down with "lighten up, I'm just kidding."

Musical intolerance is not racism. One matters, the other does not in the grand scheme of things.

Thank you for posting a song I've already heard. Now tell me: how is this any different than the first album? All I'm quesioning is where they're different.

Andy already said basically everything I would've said about this. Go back and read his post, listen to the albums again, and if you still can't hear why one is way gayer/bouncier/more annoying than the other, then I don't know how to help you.

Controversial opinion: Though I enjoy their blog postings, I'm not much of a fan of Avese Sefira and fail to hear their inherent "old schoolness" they seem to talk about.

I've never seen them talk that way about their music, but if they do I would have to disagree with them. Their last album was fairly slick modern black metal. Of course they have roots in older black metal but the only thing I would say makes them particularly "old school" is the lack in their music of certain gimmicks you find in a lot of modern bm. None of their albums strike me as having the feel or atmosphere of older waves of black metal. Anyway, they've put out some good albums regardless.

edit: Maybe they are referring to a particular mentality rather than the sound of their music. I dunno.