Controversial opinions on metal

There is melodic death metal (Intestine Baalism, Dismember, Acephalus, etc.) that is structurally and aesthetically death metal, with definite injections of melody into the riffwriting (as opposed to atonality which a lot of OSDM, etc. employs), and there is "melo-death" which is basically, heavier, more angular heavy/power metal with harsh vocals.

I still don't read the lyrics so I'm not sure if they are really death metal anyway.

_226656784.jpg

Lyrical content is not make or break in death metal you stupid cunt. And Monowar is awesome. Also, V5 and I are still the only ones that agree that melodeath and melodic death metal are actually 2 different things. It's not that hard to figure out.

We are not the only people who agree on that; it is well agreed upon, and most people don't talk about it because it is common fucking sense. Bloody 'ell.

Patently.

dude, it's completely incontrovertible shit. There's no way anyone could disagree that there is an obvious, insane difference between something like Dismember and SOTS-sounding At The Gates.

Melodeath, aka Melodic Death Metal, sounds nothing like real Death Metal, therefore it's a different genre altogether, and arguing that is just plain fucking retarded.

After a few days of thinking, and hardcore attempts at getting into it, I have come to enjoy some Norwegian Black Metal other then Burzum. Mayhem's first album, Darkthrones first 4 (Soulside doesn't really count, but I love it.), and Ildjarn.

Although I doubt it's controversial, France has had the best BM scene for a while.

Profanatica is the best black metal to ever come from the US.

V5 has noodz of him laying in a pile of ABBA vinyls.

Melodeath, aka Melodic Death Metal, sounds nothing like real Death Metal, therefore it's a different genre altogether, and arguing that is just plain fucking retarded.

This is incorrect and dumb.

Melodeath =/= Melodic death metal.

Albums like AtG - TRITSIO and Hypocrisy - the fourth dimension are most definitely death metal, and arguing that is just plain fucking retarded.

Melodeath is a really gay name for a sub-subgenre, but it's probably rather apt considering the various uphill gardening characteristics within the music.

This is incorrect and dumb.

Melodeath =/= Melodic death metal.

Albums like AtG - TRITSIO and Hypocrisy - the fourth dimension are most definitely death metal, and arguing that is just plain fucking retarded.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Just as speed metal and thrash metal become confused with one another, though they are distinctly different sub-genres. Allow me to clarify:

Melodic Death Metal:
Amorphis (Privilege Of Evil and Kerelian Isthmus era)
Bloodbath
Hypocrisy (The Fourth Dimension and Abducted especially)
Death (the last 4 albums. Also considered technical death metal, however melodic guitar riffs are central to all the songs while retaining a death metal structure)
Vital Remains (Shitty band I know, but that's not the point)

Melodeath:
In Flames
Soilwork
Scar Symmetry
Carcass
(Heartwork and Swan Song)
Arch Enemy
All bands above use death metal styled growling and a few blast beats in conjunction with power and heavy metal styled song structures.

But Melodeath is just a shortened form for Melodic Death Metal. Death Metal in itself can be melodic, and dosen't deserve another subgenere for that.

Yes it does. Melodeath is power metal with harsh vocals and thus not death metal. Melodic death metal is death metal with melody incorporated in it.