Controversial opinions on metal

I remember their early stuff being pretty close to nu-metal but albums like White Pony and Deftones have a more experimental/post-grunge vibe to them. I don't know, it's been years since I've listened to them.

new deftones album is so good, it's alt-metal if anything by this point. some really pretty stuff on there, and a coupla really satisfying crunchers.

Sepultura's Roots is probably the best nu-metal album ever. Also, Deftones has reached a point in their songwriting where they transcend categorization, and L.D.50 is the only Mudvayne album worth listening to. It's also one of the best nu-metal albums ever. Finally, I don't see how some people liking some nu-metal is an obsession.

Is Toxicity nu metal enough? Because that is still a fine album. Nothingface's Violence, too.

EDIT: And Roots >>> their shitty Roadrunner thrash albums, no matter how nu it may be.

kill yourself for not liking beneath the remains

Kill yourself for supporting the most musically bankrupt period for upper-second tier thrash metal.

Seriously... Sepultura thrash shit was awesome... then came Roots... :puke:

Early death/thrash Sepultura shit is awesome. Later hardcore/groove/thrash Sepultura shit is awesome. The stuff in between is refuse from the used condoms of Slayer.

beneath the remains is one of the most riffiest albums in thrash, end yourself, and just because it isn't god tier thrash doesn't make it worthless

I didn't say that it is worthless because it isn't god tier. It's worthless because they, like many other bands reaching semi-near mainstream acceptance circa ~89, decided to throw their primal viciousness and original death metal sound out the window in favor of some timid mid-tempo Slayer worship. I shouldn't attack Beneath the Remains too much since Arise is ten times worse, but it's still a worthless album.

At the time it was good....I have'nt listened to it in ages.I doubt whether i'll ever listen to it again but as a kid of about 17 or 18 I did enjoy it,but I was a Sepultura fanboy at the time.:p

I didn't say that it is worthless because it isn't god tier. It's worthless because they, like many other bands reaching semi-near mainstream acceptance circa ~89, decided to throw their primal viciousness and original death metal sound out the window in favor of some timid mid-tempo Slayer worship. I shouldn't attack Beneath the Remains too much since Arise is ten times worse, but it's still a worthless album.

So, anyway, how is Roots better than Beneath the Remains??

I'm just shocked that people actually like Roots Bloody Roots. That has to be one of the worst things I've ever heard.

That song does suck. The songs "Dusted" and "Cutthroat", however are fantastic. Also, allow me to add Soulfly's first 2 albums and Slipknot's S/T to the good nu-metal list. If you guys don't like this line of discussion, I'll be happy to share my opinions on which hair bands were good and which ones sucked...