Controversial opinions on metal

I could make comments about how ugly and repulsive you look when you post music opinions, but I do not.

Bloodbath sucks.
Entombed past Left Hand Path sucks.
Unleasehd suck.
Grave suck.
Deicide suck.
Dismember is great.
Cannibal Corpse are a constant in mediocrity.
War Metal is fun and heavy.

And the big one, everyone should appreciate nu-metal, grunge, groove metal, metalcore, and deathcore. Even though these genres are quite a bit different then tr00 metal, they opened peoples eyes to the world of metal.

uh. a lot of people were able to get into metal without needing some god awful whiny trash as a gateway.

Your point? Not everyone just gets into metal that easily. Sometimes you people need the gateway bands. I know I eased into metal based on Korn, Nirvana, Pantera, and Slayer.

Your point? Not everyone just gets into metal that easily. Sometimes you people need the gateway bands. I know I eased into metal based on Korn, Nirvana, Pantera, and Slayer.

But this doesn't mean that everyone has gone into metal this way. I've never listened to nu-metal bands. You should say that everyone should appreciate the bands that have taken them into metal.

Deicide suck.

This. Their first two albums are probably the most overrated old school death metal albums out there. Pathetically weak vocals often poorly covered with layering, really repetitive riffage, and the "brutal" aspect is seriously overstated; I don't know why Merciless and Morbid Angel's debut always have mention of their thrash elements brought up when their S/T is so praised. The latter can be said for early Cannibal Corpse too tbh, but at least they can manage mediocrity as you mentioned.

But this doesn't mean that everyone has gone into metal this way. I've never listened to nu-metal bands. You should say that everyone should appreciate the bands that have taken them into metal.

I never said everyone got into metal that way, I'm just stating that they should be respected as gateway bands, even if they aren't the best musically, they help others get into metal music. That should be all that really matters. It's the same with Classic Rock, Hair Metal, etc.

I never said everyone got into metal that way, I'm just stating that they should be respected as gateway bands, even if they aren't the best musically, they help others get into metal music. That should be all that really matters. It's the same with Classic Rock, Hair Metal, etc.

I Totally agree with you. I know one of my friends who started with SOAD! And now he is a REAL fan of Heavy and Death metal (Brutal Death Metal mainly).

ps : Now he thinks SOAD is shit :lol:

Although I believe Deicide sucks, Stench of Redemption got multiple plays by me for a week, until the solos wore off. Legion / Self Titled were very ambitious for death metal at the time, and were extreme, but looking past that they lacked any real substance. They were like... the Venom of Death Metal in that they used satanism to hype themselves up.

Legion / Self Titled were very ambitious for death metal at the time, and were extreme, but looking past that they lacked any real substance.

Honestly I don't understand this. The lyrics may have been the most blasphemous and Benton was busy carving inverted crosses into his forehead, but musically I think their extremity is really overstated. Blasting is mostly limited to their terrible guitar solo sections, a lot of the riffs follow pretty standard patterns, and the vocals are just weak. Compared to Altar of Madness, Hallucinations, Effigy of the Forgotten, and others they sound very outdated. They're like the Anthrax of Floridian death metal.

HamburgerBoy and NocturnalNemesis hold the record for the worst taste on this forum as well as the record for the most obnoxious posters. Let's have a round of applause.

you're such a fucking tool

What do you see in those Deicide albums? I just can't hear anything boundary pushing, or even touching. I gave three extremely easy and blatant examples of more innovative albums released a year before respective Deicide ones. They're simply an overrated band that got where they are entirely through Glen Benton's shock factor.