Controversial opinions on metal

Effigy of the Forgotten honestly kinda sucks and is easily one of the most overrated death metal albums.

*Waits for retaliation from cookiecutter and V5

I gotta say I'm against that too, haha. Effigy is great fun, Pierced from Within I found better though.

Effigy of the Forgotten honestly kinda sucks and is easily one of the most overrated death metal albums.

*Waits for retaliation from cookiecutter and V5

I can accept you not liking it, but in the context of my post how is it any more overrated than Legion? The vocals are much more guttural than most at the time, it increased the br00tal blasty-factor significantly from the standard formerly held by Altars of Madness, and marked the point of virtual-removal of thrash's influence on the genre. Legion added nothing.

I have to ask though, DOES a band have to add something to a genre for you to say their good? Like ffs, bands like Venom, and Strapping Young Lad are extremely influential, Venom moreso then SYL, but both are trash.

I have to ask though, DOES a band have to add something to a genre for you to say their good? Like ffs, bands like Venom, and Strapping Young Lad are extremely influential, Venom moreso then SYL, but both are trash.

I said nothing of that sort. You claimed that the S/T and Legion were "very ambitious for their time", and I gave an argument that they were nothing of the sort. That they're shit albums is besides the point.

Deicide and Legion were very "brutal" for their time. What are you talking about? Effigy of the Forgotten marked the beginning of the exaggerated borderline parody of "brutality" in death metal.

Deicide and Legion were very "brutal" for their time. What are you talking about? Effigy of the Forgotten marked the beginning of the exaggerated borderline parody of "brutality" in death metal.

Modern br00tal borderline parody bands owe a lot to Effigy of the Forgotten, but you simply fail if you think that album had already reached that point. Now, if death metal people didn't seem more stable than their other extreme metal peers, I'd say that Deicide perfectly encapsulated with those two albums what people laugh at in death metal. Hilariously lame anti-Christian lyrics, over the top image, Hanneman/King-quality solos squared... nothing but a joke band. That's why those albums outsold most other death metal albums at the time.

That describes a good amount of quality metal so I think you should probably stop listening to the genre.

I described two things not part of the actual music and what is widely considered one of the sloppiest guitar duos in metaldom. I think you should go and play Satanist dress-up and stop listening to metal. Your love of black metal further supports this.

early Deicide kicks ass. anyone who HATES their first 3 albums clearly does not understand death metal.