Controversial opinions on metal

cynic demos are definitely death metal theyre also by far the best thing they did since after that they succumbed to fusiony wank w/ that incredibly embarrassing robot voice and bass tone

man for anyone still hawking this retarded "oh you just dislike that band because they're popular" shit. nobody over the age of 18 actually does this. granted a high proportion of metalheads are manchildren but i think it makes u look a lot less obnoxious to assume good faith and actually discuss the music on its merits rather than resorting to these stupid attacks.

seasoned dm fanatics who hate deicide s/t at the very least are just posing or haven't had a proper listen (which is posing anyway), it's too closely related to all the stuff they love for that to genuinely be the case. if opinions can't be wrong, they can sure as hell be inconsistent with other opinions, and this is one of those cases.

seasoned dm fanatics who hate deicide s/t at the very least are just posing or haven't had a proper listen (which is posing anyway), it's too closely related to all the stuff they love for that to genuinely be the case. if opinions can't be wrong, they can sure as hell be inconsistent with other opinions, and this is one of those cases.

How can those opinions be inconsistent? The guitar tone is flat, the drumming is monotonous, the production is just godawful and boring, theres no atmosphere, and Glen Benton was an awful vocalist at the time. And that's not even getting into the terrible guitar solos.

• Elements is ok but the production sucks and the no Steve Flynn factor lets it down. I'll be interested to check out Jupiter, but my hopes aren't high. I hear one of the guitarists played bass on the album which is extremely disappointing, what happened to Tony Choy?

• Cynic were still tech death on Focus and the bass sound is actually fucking awesome. To me the album sounds like a bunch of Jazz Fusion musicians trying to play death metal, it's fucking odd and strange and occasionally awesome. The vocoder vocals suck though and I can't believe they brought them back for Traced In Air.

• Deicide s/t is a classic album full of solid tunes. The shock factor at the time probably helped it sell units but it stands up musically regardless. The solos are FUCKING MEANT TO BE THAT WAY and they add to the frenetic atmosphere on the album.

Are you capable of making an argument without spouting off false "you're an elitist" jargon about my music taste? Slayer's solos are some of the best in metal and they are 1). a thrash band and 2). good BECAUSE they are sloppy. It works with their music just fine. The lyrics and image are important to metal as well.

Because I'm an egotist I did a self-search on the number of times I've used the word "elitist" (let alone formulate an argument based on the opposite party being one), and I found a grand total of one post. Maybe my ridiculing of you in using terms like "mallgoth", "jumpdafuckup", and "niggerdom" as if they're meaningful musical descriptors comes off as elitist, but that's only testament to how low your level of debate is.

And Slayer's solos are generally crap. Sometimes they work with what they're trying to achieve, but often they're nothing more than one-take guitar rape, as live performances attempting to replicate them indicate.

the bass sounds like farting.

Who said anything of Sadus?

man for anyone still hawking this retarded "oh you just dislike that band because they're popular" shit. nobody over the age of 18 actually does this. granted a high proportion of metalheads are manchildren but i think it makes u look a lot less obnoxious to assume good faith and actually discuss the music on its merits rather than resorting to these stupid attacks.