Controversial opinions on metal

I've still never listened to Obscura or the one after, but The Erosion of Sanity is defo kickass stuff.

Obscura is hard to listen to and might actually be the most overrated, overworshipped death metal album on this board. It seems like one of those albums people profess their love for but don't actually listen to it.

Hell I'll say I flat out hate it.
Inb4tnbtantrum

I sure as shit don't hate it, but sometimes I do wonder what albums out there are revered by people who, when push comes to shove, rarely ever listen to said album.

I'll even put myself on the list with Demilich. I absolutely will say that when I listened to Nespithe the first time it was like my eyes were opened, and I even have a post somewhere on this board after I first finally listened to it. I'll call it one of the classics, definitely deserving of legendary status.

BUT... after spinning it 4-5 times in a row to really let it sink in, I haven't listened to it since. And that's true for quite a number of the "greatest" albums.

I don't like Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Judas Priest, or Dio.

Folk metal is THE meaningful metal movement of the 00's.

The Black album is excellent.

Elvenking's The Scythe is excellent.

Slipknot's Iowa is more aggressive and intense than most death metal. And it's a metal album.

I can't get much into Bathory's black metal era. I appreciate the music's significance, love the artwork and aesthetics, but the music itself is difficult and fruitless listening.

Wuthering Heights are tedious and annoying.

I like Ozzy's Scream album.

I strongly dislike most prog metal.

Fantasy ambient side projects of black metal musicians (aka dungeon synth) are one of the very best kinds of music.

Most thrash is utterly dull and boring.

Cradle of Filth have always made top-notch music.

I don't like Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Judas Priest, or Dio.

Slipknot's Iowa is more aggressive and intense than most death metal. And it's a metal album.

I can't get much into Bathory's black metal era. I appreciate the music's significance, love the artwork and aesthetics, but the music itself is difficult and fruitless listening.

Wuthering Heights are tedious and annoying.

I strongly dislike most prog metal.

Fantasy ambient side projects of black metal musicians (aka dungeon synth) are one of the very best kinds of music.

Most thrash is utterly dull and boring.

And we hate trolls, someone obviously made this account to make a complete bullshit post. Thrash metal DULL?

I do The Scythe is a decent album. Gets a lot of hate because they blended folk with a slightly mallcore aesthetic, but I think the music is damn solid.

I also think Bathory's black metal works are somewhat overrated. The first album is great, but The Return... is just...neh. I can't get too excited over Under The Sign, either. It's definitely good, but it can't hold a candle to Blood Fire Death.

Also, I agree that Wuthering Heights are pretty tedious.

On the other hand...folk metal? Jesus. Jollyfolk is my single least favorite form of metal, and all the "viking metal" that just blends scandinavian folk with black metal typically draws on the worst aspects of both those genres.

Oh I totally agree...However, their other 7 or 8 albums, or whatever the fuck, are sub-par bullshit...They HAD solid material, but that was lonnnng ago. Maybe I shouldve used different wording in my last post: "Deicide has sucked since the late 90's."

The Stench of Redemption would like a word with you.

And since we are taking about overrated things...Ulver's Bergtatt is an overrated bore.

<generic "you're a faggot" response>

<generic "you're a faggot" response>

I want to make note of this because "aggressive" and "intense" are hard to quantify and they're certainly not the exclusive domain of extreme metal. There are powerviolence, crust, and d-beat bands that are so intense and aggressive you need a break after a couple tracks. I'd argue against Iowa being the top of any list, but death metal is by no means the pinnacle of intensity or aggression.

Hell I was listening to Will Haven's "El Diablo" recently and by god is that a shredder.

Metal bands that incorporate the so-called rap singing style into their music are an abomination.