Controversial opinions on metal

I'd like to say that it does certainly affect his credibility when discussing non-metal. If someone comes along saying, "I'm getting burnt out on metal, can anyone recommend me some new music?", my advice would be, "Don't listen to whatever Mort suggests."

It depends on what kind of non-metal I'd be suggesting, because I know that more than a couple of my non-metal recommendations have been things people here have enjoyed.

I know for a fact that Onder liked Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter, I know KafkaX liked First Aid Kit, pretty certain there were people who liked Cinnamon Chasers (if not here then I know on a few other metal sites people who liked them and only found out due to me introducing them), Genelec & Memphis Reigns is probably the most well received rap recommendation I make anywhere, etc.

It depends on what kind of non-metal I'd be suggesting, because I know that more than a couple of my non-metal recommendations have been things people here have enjoyed.

I know for a fact that Onder liked Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter, I know KafkaX liked First Aid Kit, pretty certain there were people who liked Cinnamon Chasers (if not here then I know on a few other metal sites people who liked them and only found out due to me introducing them), Genelec & Memphis Reigns is probably the most well received rap recommendation I make anywhere, etc.

The question is: Would I enjoy any of those bands?

Damn, 6 bands in 7 years.

The question is: Would I enjoy any of those bands?

I'm not sure, Jesse Sykes has evolved over the years from a dark, depressing country artist to one who has embraced more of a psychedelia sound on her most recent album.

to

First Aid Kit is basically a Swedish Americana folk duo (imagine Townes Van Zandt but not perpetually drunk)

Cinnamon Chasers is pretty relaxing electronic music, with some really good bass lines

and Genelec & Memphis Reigns reminds me of a mix of early Jedi Mind Tricks combined to some degree with Wu-Tang Clan, but not exactly like either of them...

Damn, 6 bands in 7 years.

4, and I was just mentioning examples not everything that has ever been positively been received.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an opinion that's sure to be controversial:

Nokturnal Mortum's 2009 Голос Сталі is the best album that's come out in the past 5 years. I can't think of anything else better.

Nokturnal Mortum's 2009 Голос Сталі is the best album that's come out in the past 5 years. I can't think of anything else better.

Nah, it promises to be so upon first listen, and then you realize that it's just 8 versions of the same song on repeat. "Valkyrie" (I'm not going to try and copy pasta the Ukrainian title) is easily one of the best songs of the past 5, maybe 10 years, however.

The stupid pink floyd shit that happens part way through one of the songs angers me because otherwise it is a great album

You certainly cannot listen to the Jesse Sykes songs and get what they're about after 30 seconds - fuck you can't do that with pretty much any kind of music.

Please come to Michigan so I can cut your hands off and never have to hear from you again. You can't listen to those songs in 6 minutes time, fuck I know you didn't even. You just are saying you did because you don't like me.

I'm listening to it right now. It's certainly one fuck of an album and I would not in any way say you couldn't call it your favorite in the last few years, but it wouldn't be mine. Not by a fair sight.

For my money, Amenra's Mass III + IIII combo is just... there's nothing to touch it.

I'm really oneo f the few dudes who believes that later bands who "perfected" a sound have albums better than those who originate it. Yeah it's not fair to claim that the followers are better than the pioneers but in the end it's those who perfect the formula who really make the masterpieces.