Controversial opinions on metal

Depending on your reasons, you probably won't agree with him there. Particularly so considering your opinions on Killers and other things.

EDIT: And Twilight Zone aside (which doesn't count), every song on Killers is masterful. Maiden's greatest album, even if Piece of Mind and Powerslave feature more ambitious and pioneering songs.

I would probably give Killers like a 6/10. It's just not very good. I don't know how it could be your favorite. I guess our brains are just wired very differently.

Yet you cite an album that rapidly falls into fillerville after the fourth track. Sad Wings through Stained Class have no filler. Relatively weaker songs, sure, but no filler. Every track stands out at a minimum as something different from its peers, and the only part I would describe as an awkward moment between the three is the handclapping in Starbreaker.

I don't know if I would call Last Rose of Summer filler as much as a fisasterous failure of an expiriment, but it's a comically bad song. Other than that, everything on Sad Wings, Sin After Sin and Stained Class ranges from very good to great.

Depending on your reasons, you probably won't agree with him there. Particularly so considering your opinions on Killers and other things.

EDIT: And Twilight Zone aside (which doesn't count), every song on Killers is masterful. Maiden's greatest album, even if Piece of Mind and Powerslave feature more ambitious and pioneering songs.

Yet you cite an album that rapidly falls into fillerville after the fourth track. Sad Wings through Stained Class have no filler. Relatively weaker songs, sure, but no filler. Every track stands out at a minimum as something different from its peers, and the only part I would describe as an awkward moment between the three is the handclapping in Starbreaker.

I actually agree with you about Defenders, I just think the overall sound and strength of the first few songs puts it above the 70s albums. Like I said though, that's priest for me, they have supposedly perfect albums that are a bit 70s and oddball for me and then 80s albums with a beautiful metal sounds but almost half the songs are filler.

It definitely doesn't sound more natural ... but i can see how some people(or most maybe) would prefer his style on Killers more. I think the more raw and punky vocals on the first matched the speed and energy much more than him trying to sound somewhat melodic.

I still don't hear that anywhere. Listen to the verses of Murders in the Rue Morgue, the title track, and Purgatory. Then compare to any song on the S/T. Of course there are parts on Killers where he sings in a more traditional style (Prodigal Son being the obvious one) but on a whole Killers is easily the faster and more aggressive album, both in Di'Anno's vocals and the songs themselves.

I actually agree with you about Defenders, I just think the overall sound and strength of the first few songs puts it above the 70s albums. Like I said though, that's priest for me, they have supposedly perfect albums that are a bit 70s and oddball for me and then 80s albums with a beautiful metal sounds but almost half the songs are filler.

If remnants of their Queen and psychedelic rock influences are what you mean by oddball, then ok, but by Stained Class that had been entirely stripped away.

I've always thought the (pre Killing Machine / HBFT) 70s albums had weird production for "metal" albums. That's just my opinion though.

lol no.

Yea, pretty much.

Haha, people get so pissed when I call it Fillers usually.

Stained Class is like literally a perfect album. How can you overlook that one?

Man, Priest is one of my favorites and Stained Class is really good, but it is not my favorite album from the band. I find that Screaming for Vengeance has more replay value for me than Stained Class. The same goes for Sad Wings of Destiny.

So basically, the first few are overrated on forums imo and the better 80s albums are some of the best traditional metal albums, but not strong, particularly "as albums", with a lot of filler.

I can't resist cringing at some of priest's lyrics... probably because of halford being gay, evil fantasies... I have to skip it. And I have to snicker every time I see the cover for Ram It Down. That big fist...

... their first album is fucking horrible.

It's not a very fluid album and some of the experimental songs are sloppy, but there's plenty of memorable tracks. It's a long long way from terrible.

I can't resist cringing at some of priest's lyrics... probably because of halford being gay, evil fantasies... I have to skip it. And I have to snicker every time I see the cover for Ram It Down. That big fist...

Priest do have some bad lyrics but Evil Fantasies is not one of them. That's a great song for rough sex.

Judas Priest is just a weird band. Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of Faith and Painkiller are all phenomenal, but Point of Entry, Turbo, Ram it Down and the ones with the other singer are all flat out bad albums. Not relatively speaking; just bad by any standard. Not many bands have such a large mix of highs and lows.

Point of Entry is a great album. The worst songs are no worse than average, and from the start up through You Say Yes is a phenomenal run. Much better album than Defenders of the Faith and probably a hint better than Screaming for Vengeance too. Judas Priest is really the most consistent of all the god-tier metal bands. Even Nostradamus would have been decent if it were condensed down to one album. Their quality control is quite high, and that their worst song was a leftover (Living Bad Dreams) only supports that. Combined with three virtually-perfect albums in the 70's and massive wins scattered throughout, they have an amazing discography.

... their first album is fucking horrible.

Never Satisfied + Dying to Meet You + Run of the Mill = lolno @ u.

Judas Priest is just a weird band. Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of Faith and Painkiller are all phenomenal, but Point of Entry, Turbo, Ram it Down and the ones with the other singer are all flat out bad albums. Not relatively speaking; just bad by any standard. Not many bands have such a large mix of highs and lows.

I would take all of those and the Ripper albums over Painkiller.