Controversial opinions on metal

Listening to Tyrant's Too Late to Pray, and I wish I liked this album more than I do. And I'm I the only person that thinks this sounds more like a Christian version of Venom than anything else? I mean, it's still solid stuff with a nice meaty sound, but there's a bit of filler here and only a couple standouts.

that album is mixed in a way that makes it kind of subdued and lethargic, plus glen may is one of the most amazing metal vocalists ever (seriously approaches top 10 for me) and he's almost completely suffocated by that maelstrom of guitar noise. it's a fucking shame because, aside from a couple of more stadiumy mediocrities, it's essentially HEAVY METAL MANIAC, SHOW NO MERCY and venom filtered through manowar+bathory; executed properly it would've been some of the meatiest, stormiest metal ever recorded.

the previous album is about the same level, but the title track is probably their best song:

Last edited by a moderator:
I still haven't heard their first album. tbh I don't get the big deal about the vocals. His main, manly voice is nice enough, but those fucking highs are awful. It's like he can sing exactly one note and I swear half the time they're just sampling the same scream, especially when they just start sticking it under random verses.

i think it's a little over-ambitious, some of the songs don't justify their length and struggle to maintain momentum/intensity, but i LOVE the sound of it, more than pretty much any thrash album ever.

I can see that. I love all the songs (except for Eye of the Beholder which is okay but not "early Metallica" quality), song lengths and all, but I can see it. Its not as easily accessible as RTL or MOP.

Also people who don't like the mix need to get out of thrash tbh.

RTL is awesome but there is some filler (still good songs but filler). Trapped Under Ice and Escape are obviously the weakest. The MOP album doesn't have a single filler track and all are 10/10. I'd rank the early albums:

MOP
AJFA
RTL
KEA