Controversial opinions on metal

Look, Zep were basically a blues rock band. I get that you don't like them that much if you're looking from a metal listener perspective, but you can't take away their influence on hard rock.

They were the first supergroup, and one of the best musicians around. Bonham's drumming was one of the heaviest and the time. And they also have a lot great songs - Heartbreaker, What Is And What Should Never Be, Out on the Tiles, Black Dog, When The Levee Breaks etc.

I don't like them as much as I used to and I may say that I like DP more, but both bands were great at what they were doing, both were innovative and comparing which is better seems a bit pointless to me, everyone should just pick the one they like more.

Maybe you might check out Presence, it's probably their heaviest album and Plant's voice is a bit lower than before.

But i wasn't even comparing them to Purple, that was all kafka. I didnt even mention DP in my inital post where i said Zep are one of the most overrated bands of all time. I actually said pretty much what you're saying, that they shouldn't even be compared to each other. Never said they weren't any good.

All im saying is that i dont see how a fan of heavy metal can shit on DP and then say Zeppelin are one of the greatest bands of all time. That just doesn't make sense to me one bit ... those people should be listening to soft ass 70s and 80's hard rock, not metal.

Traveling Riverside Blues comes to mind first.

When the Levee Breaks and Achilles Last Stand alone destroy anything Purple wrote.

Achilles is one of my favs. Love the track Dream Theater did incorporating that song into The Rover and Song Remains The Same.

In My Time of Dying, Dazed & Confused, Communication Breakdown, Ramble On, How Many More Times....I could go on and on. Those are some of my favorites from Zep.

I guess I gravitate towards Zeppelin's sound and vibe more because I love that "softer" psychedelic, bluesy shit from the late sixties/early seventies.

But i wasn't even comparing them to Purple, that was all kafka. I didnt even mention DP in my inital post where i said Zep are one of the most overrated bands of all time. I actually said pretty much what you're saying, that they shouldn't even be compared to each other. Never said they weren't any good.

All im saying is that i dont see how a fan of heavy metal can shit on DP and then say Zeppelin are one of the greatest bands of all time. That just doesn't make sense to me one bit ... those people should be listening to soft ass 70s and 80's hard rock, not metal.

That's a simplistic assessment. For example, the jump from Zeppelin to Priest or Maiden is very small.

From Zeppelin to Rocka Rolla, OK. From Zeppelin to Stained Class or anything Iron Maiden has done, no.

Agreed. Not their most influential of course, but definitely the ideal balance between the intensity of the first two and more mature songwriting/tighter musicianship.

... i agree.

Sabbath were clearly heavier and were the first "pure" heavy metal band. Hard rock has always been a huge part of DP's sound... to this day even. That's why i don't throw BS in there with DP, Rainbow etc.

Also, i wasn't arguing with you ... it's just that you clearly misunderstood me, as i never said they were the "best band ever".

Purple's "in Rock" is one of the heaviest albums ever recorded.....in any decade. It's as heavy as an Sabbath, if not heavier. :worship: