Controversial opinions on metal

Yeah I prefer small shows too, but I don't think it's due to being antisocial. It's honestly easier to make friends at small shows I feel. Plus shorter beer lines and you often get to meet the band members.

Yeah I prefer small shows too, but I don't think it's due to being antisocial. It's honestly easier to make friends at small shows I feel. Plus shorter beer lines and you often get to meet the band members.
This. I met Black Fast only because the Goatwhore show was so small. Also met Jungle Rot, Dave Davidson from Revocation, etc

This. I met Black Fast only because the Goatwhore show was so small. Also met Jungle Rot, Dave Davidson from Revocation, etc

Yeah man. I met the drummer from vektor, Conan from Exmortus 3x, all of Hatchet, bassist from bonded by blood, singer of Warbringer, etc because of small shows. Would like to meet black fast next.

re: opeth, MAYH is their best, followed by probably MORNINGRISE. laughable copy+paste songwriters but with many strong individual passages. recent material sucks though

much of '70s priest > all iron maiden
halford > dickinson
di anno > dickinson
halford > di anno
solo dickinson > the majority of dickinson maiden

hail of bullets is boring and although i'm not as big on asphyx as some folks they've obvs got some superior material. i'd take CONSUMING IMPULSE over it all too though.

The first two Opeth albums are the only ones that I think are ever worth listening to. Their recent material has been awful.

I really don't give an ounce of shit about early Opeth, just wanted to know if their Progressive Rock material is worth getting into, which I guess seems to be a resounding no.
But the fact that most people saying no also like their old stuff makes me question the trustworthiness of the opinion.

Must think on this, I guess youtube is also my friend.

halford > dickinson
di anno > dickinson
halford > di anno

Wow.

I don't know, this sounds fucking brilliant.

I was enjoying it and then the vocals kicked in and I was sold, sounds just like something a huge fan of early to mid 70's Progressive Rock like me would dig.

Last edited by a moderator:
> hates Black Sabbath
> thinks opinion is valid

That song didn't do shit for me either, horrible sterile guitar tone and borderline clicky drums, pass.

I really don't give an ounce of shit about early Opeth, just wanted to know if their Progressive Rock material is worth getting into, which I guess seems to be a resounding no.
But the fact that most people saying no also like their old stuff makes me question the trustworthiness of the opinion.

Must think on this, I guess youtube is also my friend.

Wow.

Id recommend checking the two albums out. I enjoyed both throughout, and i like their early shit as well.

Theyre nothing groundbreaking as a whole, but theres some awesome shit on both of the albums.

I don't know, this sounds fucking brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoW3Sywb5xQ

I was enjoying it and then the vocals kicked in and I was sold, sounds just like something a huge fan of early to mid 70's Progressive Rock like me would dig.

Thats easily the best song theyve done in the last 10 years.

re: opeth, MAYH is their best, followed by probably MORNINGRISE. laughable copy+paste songwriters but with many strong individual passages. recent material sucks though

halford > dickinson
di anno > dickinson
halford > di anno

hail of bullets is boring and although i'm not as big on asphyx as some folks they've obvs got some superior material. i'd take CONSUMING IMPULSE over it all too though.

MAYH is definitely Opeth's best, I'd follow it by Blackwater Park though, then probably their debut, then still life, then morningrise.