Controversial opinions on metal

Butchered at Birth is probably my favourite of the early period albums. Tomb of the Mutilated has more memorable songs on the whole, but it also gets boring more quickly.

Butchered at birth seems to get the most split reception with some loving it the most others calling it trash. I do remember when I was in school and I showed the album covers to the other classmates on the school computer. They freaked out over the Tomb of the Mutilated one lol.

I just never really got into Cannibal Corpse. I don't think they're terrible, but they don't stand out either for me. It's also always annoyed me that when you tell people you listen to death metal, Cannibal Corpse is one of the first things that tends to come to their mind.

Reactions: CiG
I just never really got into Cannibal Corpse. I don't think they're terrible, but they don't stand out either for me. It's also always annoyed me that when you tell people you listen to death metal, Cannibal Corpse is one of the first things that tends to come to their mind.

Yeah its sorta weird how they became the poster boys for the death metal genre. I don't really mind their music but there were plenty of other death metal bands at the time who were much better and already had albums out at the time. One of Cannibal Corpses biggest problems is they come off as an unintentional parody of themselves.

Also lol I've discovered that some folks actually think Cannibal Corpse started the whole death metal band focused on gross and morbid imagery lol.

I read somewhere that John Tardy does the 'chyauched in haughh ' stuff intentionally to fit the music, and sometimes he is just saying nonsense. That actually makes me appreciate his vocals even more, since he is using his voice as another instrument to add to the atmosphere of death metal. It's creative and far more interesting/entertaining than monotone boar grunts

I think I like the first Decide album a lot more than Legion. I'll have to give it another attempt though to be sure. The song Sacrificial Suicide is catchy as fuck and it reminds me of Black Prophecies by Dark Angel for some reason.

No, the title track is godly, but Here in After is probably my favourite Immolation. However, I listen to the debut the most because the riffs and rhythms are less weird and jarring than their following couple of releases.

Reactions: Master_Yoda77
Glen Benton also deserves mention here if we're listing top tier DM vocalists. The only drawback is he gets mixed way too high on most Deicide albums.

I know his vocals are layered but the way they made him sound like a howling fucking demon on the self titled album has stuck with me as a favorite death vocal performance. I find it odd all the Obituary talk without any trash talking yet.

Here In After > Dawn of Possession > Failures for Gods > Unholy Cult > Close to a World Below

If only the rest of Close was as good as the first two tracks then it might be number one. Unfortunately, it's not. The title track is amazing but the ones before that are snorefest. The rest of their discography barely even compares.

Remind me again why the fuck there is a sub genre of death metal called brutal death metal? I mean I tried listening to Suffocation and it doesn't sound anymore brutal than regular death metal so the name seems rather misleading.

Yeah, I've heard some brutal death metal that is virtually indistinguishable from normal death metal, aside from lower-tuned guitars and deeper/gurglier vocals. Death metal's alleged diversity is kind of a joke tbh.

What's your opinion on Poison - Into the abyss?

I gave it a listen recently and was disappointed at how safe it sounds these days. Too much ultra-pedestrian Bay Area riffing, especially during many of the verses, even though they'll often manage to throw in a neat bridge or a cool idea in all of the songs. As I've become more and more accustomed to demo production, I don't even hear it as an early death metal release anymore.