Controversial opinions on metal

I find them agreeable, I can see why you or Ozz would disagree since we have different political views.

My political views are pretty much libertarian, but shit lyrics are shit lyrics. That's why I can admit Skyclad has better lyrics than Megadeth or Slayer even if my politics are going to be closer to the latter.

I think it's more a question of mental capacity and not age here.

I use the original definition of heavy metal, because it's senseless to allow terms to change their meaning. It leads to confusion. The Who, Steppenwolf, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple are all metal, but as are black metal bands, for example. The only band I actively refer to as hard rock is Foreigner.

I use the original definition of heavy metal, because it's senseless to allow terms to change their meaning. It leads to confusion. The Who, Steppenwolf, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple are all metal, but as are black metal bands, for example. The only band I actively refer to as hard rock is Foreigner.

So you must be referring to the elements such as lead, copper and cadmium, because that is the original definition of heavy metal and it's senseless to allow terms to change their meaning.

You've been hanging out on the Black-Sabbath.com forums too long. They've poisoned you with shitty ideas.

I already told you, the only reason people call those bands metal is because at that point, when they were new, metal was in its infancy and hadn't found its identity yet. People were calling bands "metal", when they hadn't even figured out what metal was and wasn't, much less what bands to call it. Genres evolve, definitions evolve, this is fact; and people eventually realized there was a line separating bands like The Who, Steppenwolf, etc, and bands like Priest, Grim Reaper, etc, because claiming they're even remotely from the same genre is ridiculously stupid.

tl;dr version: You are using an antiquated, antediluvian definition for what constitutes metal, and gtfo with that shit; nobody seriously believes what you're saying other than geriatrics who don't know any better (and apparently impressionable 16-year olds also).

Last edited:
Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
That doesn't even make sense. The terminology isn't what does or doesn't qualify or disqualify something to or from a genre of music, it's the actual sonic qualifiers which The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Steppenwolf, and Led Zeppelin, don't and haven't ever met in even the vaguest sense, excepting perhaps Zeppelin and Hendrix who lapse into proto-metal at times, but never actually cross the threshold.

Reactions: The Butt