Controversial opinions on metal

Iron Maiden are better than Metallica.

Well, duh. Hardly a controversial opinion. I believe a recent poll proved Maiden to be a more universially respected band among the members of this forum than Metallica.

...And then there's the fact that Maiden never sold out. If anything, they did the opposite by recruiting a vocalist with a voice so radically different from Dickinson's.

Look, go fucking look up the history of the genre of nu-metal music and you'll know why we don't call it "nu-rock." It wasn't coined as that, that's just how it goes. Goddamnit, don't be a moron.

Pages and pages go by...and the argument cyclically returns to Obituary and Morbid Angel...and now its a pointless argument about Slipknot. This thread is funny.

Well, for my $0.02, Godsmack and Disturbed are hard rock, Van Halen, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, and Zeppelin WERE hard rock. The definition has changed.

Slipknot is most decidedly not hard rock, they are not nor have they ever been metal, and the new song I like quite a bit. It represents a slightly predictable DM and metalcore influence, the vocals don't fit but remain distinctive, the solo was surprising and fun, and ultimately, the band has lost everything which made them unique in the first place and still remain incosequential. So the only source of argument stems from the forum's extreme distaste and prejudice against the band for reasons not understood by me. But the recent bursts of argument...pointless.

all metal is a form of rock..

Thats like saying all Rock is a form of blues.

When Metal was new it could be considered a form of Rock. But now Metal has branched out and sounds way different than rock.

Yeah, if all metal is just a form of rock music then I don't know what the point of music genres are anyway. Whether it's The Rolling Stones, Elvis, The Pixies, Def Leppard, The Rancontours, whatever you consider to be the definitive example of rock music, to say that black metal and slam death are part of that genre, I think that's being too marginal. Extreme metal typically has different song structures, vocal style, production style, image & lyrical content, and instrumental tones than rock. There's as much difference between metal and rock as there is between rock and jazz, blues and folk, classical and electronica, or easy listening and country. There's an overlap, yes, but there are many overlaps such as between rock & blues, country & folk, folk & blues, and rock & jazz. There's more in common between Neutral Milk Hotel, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nine Inch Nails and Elton John than there is between any of those artists and Nokturnal Mortum.

Slipknot is definitely more metal than bands like WASP, Skid Row, Dokken, etc.

Bahaha, WASP and Skid Row?

Have you ever heard The Crimson Idol or Slave to the Grind? Those are pure fucking heavy metal. I know you're musically retarded and consider things that are not musically heavy as shit to be bad, but heaviness has no relation to a band being considered metal so please refrain from typing shit like that.