Controversial opinions on metal

I thought CoB had a good thing going when Hatebreeder came out. The musicianship on those early albums had a kind of lively, jammy feel and they didn't really sound like anyone else at the time. They could have really done some cool things by continuing to write with that vibe, and I still hear a decent tune from them now and then. But they just had to ruin it with that downtuned, tough-guy element on HCDR. If that's the path they wanted to go down, they just should have cut their losses and quit after Follow the Reaper.

Psychotic Waltz are fucking amazing and probably one of the greatest bands ever for the first two albums alone. I've only been listening to them for a few months, but they've been completely kicking my ass. I don't there's any other band out there that combines technicality and odd time signatures with groove and catchiness the way they do, except maybe Canvas Solaris. Old-school progressive metal ftw.

Let's keep talking about CoB for another 2+ pages to piss off Murai.

I really don't get why people would hate their early work, aside from the vocals, which really aren't that irritating. The guitar work and a lot of the riffs are fantastic.

I liked everything up until Follow the Reaper, and after that I lost interest in them.

Hatebreeder is my favorite from them I also listen to Something Wild and Follow the Reaper occasionally. Nothing wrong with some cheese in your music once in a while.

Psychotic Waltz are fucking amazing and probably one of the greatest bands ever for the first two albums alone. I've only been listening to them for a few months, but they've been completely kicking my ass. I don't there's any other band out there that combines technicality and odd time signatures with groove and catchiness the way they do, except maybe Canvas Solaris. Old-school progressive metal ftw.

I've heard their first album and I got to say it sounded like it could possibly be quite enjoyable. Of course given enough spins to fully understand and settle into it properly. It's an odd album and usually not my style, but as soon as I sort through some of the bad in my ipod ill be giving it another try.

i see posts like this a lot and they're so clearly not true for the majority who prefer early immortal to later (around here at least), i swear some of these self-proclaimed anti-elitist types see sinister motivations in absolutely everything, usually without reason. "that whole 'kill classic metal dead' thing" just... doesn't exist on this board, at all.

There was a lot of that going around in Oslo in the mid to late nighties (probably later as well, but I had stopped caring at that point, so...), but usually from people who were into black metal for all the wrong reasons. I can only assume that the same applies to most other black metal scenes as well.

Yeah but if you like the music, who cares if they listen to them too?

I'll never understand that.

Same thing when people don't go to a show because "the crowd will be gay."

Yeah, I really don't get that type of mentality as well. I'm sure there are a shitload of bands I like that scene kids/poseurs/etc enjoy as well, but that's not going to stop me from liking what I like or attending a concert.

viewer_from_nihil said:
That's why I didn't go to the last Carcass tour.

Your loss. Seriously.

Actually, they did. Here's the set list:

01. Intro Tape
02. Inpropagation
03. Buried Dreams
04. Intro Tape
05. Corporal Jigsore
06. Carnal Forge
07. Intro Tape
08. Incarnate Solvent Abuse
09. No Love Lost
10. Edge Of Darkness