Controversial opinions on metal

I don't listen to a lot of death and thrash metal, because I'm not a big fan of those genres. Most death and thrash metal unless of a greatly experimental variety sounds generic to me.

What the hell? Even a surface dweller of death metal should be able to know that TRITSIO is like nothing else, ever.

Reading through the last page... I can also say I'm not a big fan of TRITSIO either.

I think my problem stems from not liking melodic death metal in general though... and the shrieked.. in pain.. death growl vocals.

word. barely even death growls tbh... more like "a cat got my nuts" vocals

When determining what is and what is not great death metal, superficial elements such as vocals shouldn't even come into it - unless the vocalist is completely untalented and worthless - especially when the music is as brilliant as that on AtG's debut.

With that said, Lindberg's performance on TRitSiO is one of the best in the entire genre.

I think the point about vocals is that you can quite easily look past a shite vocal performance if the the album has awesome music, but if it's average or crap music with a great singer, then why even bother listening to it?

Yeah, but it also has to do a lot with production...if the music RULES but you can't even fucking hear it because the atrocious vocalist is mixed louder than everything (and this DOES happen sometimes...), then it doesn't matter how much the music rules; vocals CAN ruin things. Production can help.

I think the point about vocals is that you can quite easily look past a shite vocal performance if the the album has awesome music, but if it's average or crap music with a great singer, then why even bother listening to it?

Though I can't think of any examples, I've recalled listening to a few bands with awesome music but their vocals were atrocious and thus I can't listen to it.

The most recent thing I can think of that pulled that off for me was the Portrait s/t album...sounds like King Diamond without the actual ability to pull off that kind of thing.

I was only really referring to death and black metal. I don't feel that the vocalists are nearly as important as anything else (perhaps calling them superficial was taking it slightly too far ;)). As long as they suit the music, it's fine, and Lindberg's vocals certainly fit the music on The Red in the Sky is Ours. The only example I can think of where a vocalist's performance detracts from the overall quality of an album I like is Afflicted's Prodigal Sun. And despite that, it's still a cool album.

I also couldn't disagree more about Sean Killian ruining Vio-Lence's music; on the contrary, he makes Eternal Nightmare all the more memorable and awesome.

I spoke about it in another thread, but Dark Millennium's Ashore the Celestial Burden apparently has a dude whose balls haven't dropped or who is apparently a woman on vocals. It does bother me. However, it's not enough to make the album bad tbh.

As much as I love TRITSIO, Lindberg does sounds a bit like a retard moaning for his dinner at times. I much prefer his more muscular vocal performance on Slaughter of the Soul, though obviously the albums as a whole are incomparable.

Yeah, but it also has to do a lot with production...if the music RULES but you can't even fucking hear it because the atrocious vocalist is mixed louder than everything (and this DOES happen sometimes...), then it doesn't matter how much the music rules; vocals CAN ruin things. Production can help.

Ink Compatible - Spastic Ink. Incredible instrumentation. Ridiculously bad vocals.

I've never thought much about Lindberg's vocals with At the Gates. I prefer "Sweet Vengeance" vocals.

I'm a big stickler when it comes to vocals. A band can play awesome instrumentally, but the vocals can completely ruin the music for me if I don't like them. It's not often when I can see past them, and eventually warm up to them.