Controversial opinions on metal

Eh, seasonal anything is stupid once you like said thing enough. If you can go 6 months (every 12 months) without black metal because the weather outside doesn't make you reminisce about grim frostbitten trolls, I'm not entirely sure you're a fan to begin with.

I do see talent in slipknot.

I don't think Dimmu has "sold out" or "lost their touch" at all regardless what countless others say.

Iron Maiden gives me goosebumps.

I don't think Dimmu has "sold out" or "lost their touch" at all regardless what countless others say.

Actually, yes on both counts. They sold out with EDT, despite it being a great album. They lost their touch in that even with a more palatable sound, they now fail to write melodies.

Eh, seasonal anything is stupid once you like said thing enough. If you can go 6 months (every 12 months) without black metal because the weather outside doesn't make you reminisce about grim frostbitten trolls, I'm not entirely sure you're a fan to begin with.

I disagree. I love Windir, but I have a hard time listening and enjoying when it's 100+ degrees outside. Kind of ruins/interfers with the "atmosphere" black metal projects.

Neither was Lemmy kind of. He's just an important icon in the black metal world. He isn't really that bad if you ask me but it's nothing brilliant. The real power is in the melodies and riffs for Bathory anyway.
Yeah, don't get me wrong I think Bathory are epic, but I find some of his singing flat out horrible...

Several of Bathory's albums would be in my top 20 or so of all time, but TBH Quorthon really can't sing for shit. The music is great in spite of his vocals, not because of them.

I would agree. No one's trashing Quorthon or demeaning his musical skill by criticizing his vocals. The truth is, he doesn't have a great voice; but that doesn't change the fact that he has written some incredible songs.