Controversial opinions on metal

Does USA have one good black metal band?

I don't know, I try to look for mostly Norwegian and central / eastern european BM myself because it tends to be more legitimate... mostly... not just to be kvlt but it really does piss me off if a band doesn't even really agree with what they're singing about, they're just singing to sell records. Regardless of even whether I agree with their message or not, if they don't even believe it themselves, I can't be a fan. I think alot of US BM metal bands are probably fairly legitimate though because US BM isn't mainstream. Most of the most "artificial" metal of all kinds seems to come from England anyway (I know that's a rather sweeping statement). And on the other hand you have alot of BS BM coming even from Scandanavia itself now that BM is fairly popular. Not just Dimmu but bands like Gorgoroth Enslaved and Satyricon seem to be all "glam" to me

Norway's metal output is better than any other country's output, and it isn't even close. Second would probably be USA, but that's nothing to be proud of, like Hamburger Boy is, since there's just a shitload of Americans in the world.

Oh no, the US doesnt have enough quality black metal bands. Actually, wait, fuck black metal in general. The death metal and heavy/power metal (and later sludge) the US put out in the late 80s/early 90s still dwarfs anything any other country has ever put out.

Oh no, the US doesnt have enough quality black metal bands. Actually, wait, fuck black metal in general. The death metal and heavy/power metal (and later sludge) the US put out in the late 80s/early 90s still dwarfs anything any other country has ever put out.

Maybe in that period, but 70's into the 80's ? That time belongs to England.

Norway's metal output is better than any other country's output, and it isn't even close. Second would probably be USA, but that's nothing to be proud of, like Hamburger Boy is, since there's just a shitload of Americans in the world.

Do you only listen to black and avant-garde/experimental/whatever metal? There's very little Norwegian metal I can think of otherwise. A few semi-notable death metal bands, a couple of kvlt traditional/power bands... oh, and TNT.

Does USA have one good black metal band?

Ones you didn't mention:

Averse Sefira
Fog
Absu

All of those bands have put out albums that range from good to excellent. There are a couple others that aren't coming to mind right now.

Norway's metal output is better than any other country's output, and it isn't even close.

Not in terms of death, thrash, power, heavy, or really any subgenre besides black metal. Norway had a bunch of great black metal releases in the early to mid 90s (my favorite tbh), and at least 4 or 5 of the best metal albums of all time. Norway really hasn't been significant since the mid 90s though.

The US is extremely significant in terms of power and prog metal (see Fates Warning, early Queensryche, etc.) Also, people hardly ever mention one of the US's best contributions in these kinds of discussions: technical thrash (see Watchtower, Anacrusis, etc.)

The US has been both pioneering and excellent in terms of death metal, regardless of what anybody thinks about its merit relative to Finland, Sweden, etc. I actually think a lot of Swedish death metal is really overrated. I find a US band like Brutality to be far more interesting than stuff like Entombed. There's a handful of Swedish dm albums that I love though. Sweden's greatest contributions in my opinion were (1) Bathory, (2) melodic black metal, and (3) melodic black/death metal hybrids.

Finland had great death metal but I can count the number of excellent bands on one hand.

Uneasy_Conscience said:
What about them? They blow.

Bullshit. They might be fairly overrated by certain parts of the metal scene (ANUS), but they're not a bad band by any stretch of the imagination. I really can't see how this is anything more than arbitrary internet metalhead contrarianism.

Cythraul hit it out of the park on American metal. Let's face it, it's "cool" to talk shit about anything and everything American. I really doubt that the U.S. is the worst culture in today's world. What about Russia? Outside of their power metal and vodka, is there anything else they produce that people actually like?

I know sludge doesnt get the love here it should... but

Melvins
Crowbar
Eyehategod
Neurosis
Acid Bath
Isis
Kylesa
Corrosion of Conformity
Grief
Dystopia

Pretty much every influential/important/good release in the genre came from the US (minus Iron Monkey)

I really do need to get back in the sludge/stoner/doom direction. Been on a BM kick the past few months. Karma to Burn will definitely be my first destination.