Cool, but odd cover songs by Metal groups

Raumien

Pepsi Fiend
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
Blind Guardian - White Room

It's a cover of the Cream classic. It's really well done I think, the instrumentals are spot on and HAnsi sounds great. I wish he had used a little more variety in his voice, but overall it's a nice metal rendition of one of my favorite songs.

Entombed - Kick Out The Jams

Too lazy to look up who they covered for this one. It's a cool rendition, though I like Rage Against the Machine's version better. The vocals aren't my favorite but it's still a good listen.

Crystal age - Damage Inc.

I about shit myself when I saw this on soulseek. CA is one of my favorite bands ever and this is one of the best songs of Master Of Puppets. Hans Nilsson shows Lars what drumming is all about, their guitarists hit all the notes and solos perfectly. The vocals may not be to many peoples liking, but I'm used to them after listening to Crystal Age so much. I love this cover because it takes a good song and gives it a thicker, heavier sound, especially percussion-wise.

Amon Amarth - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

I'd expect this from a Doom Metal band more than I would from Amon Amarth. Still, it's not too bad. I didn't care for the guitar sound that much, but it's fitting enough. The vocals are kind of iffy too, but still they fit the song. Drums are kind of hard to hear between the thick sounds of the bass and guitars. Good cover though, faithful to the original. Definately something novel to hear from the group.

System Of A Down - Snowblind

I know they are not metal and I will not claim them to be, but I felt their cover of Black Sabbath's Snowblind to be noteworthy enough to include. They've taken a slow and groovy Sabbath tune and cranked up the speed. The instrumentals are tight and well-done. They've kept the overall feeling of the original song, added their own style and re-did the guitar work. It's now a lot faster and played much differently. The vocals are less schizophrenic sounding than a lot of their songs, but when he says the line 'cocaine' it still sounds a little goofy. Definately check this out if you like Sabbath, it's cool to hear.

Flotsam & Jetsam - Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting

How many thrash bands have you heard cover Elton John? Heheh. They actually do a pretty good job. Guitars are just a tad too thick sounding for my tastes, but they've got a few keyboard touches here and there and the vocals are really cool. They've kept their thrash style too, faithfully adapting Elton John into 80's style thrash, and doing a good job. Excellent work here.

Anacrusis - Nativity In Black

Great Sabbath song, excellent cover. The bass sounds so good on this version of it. Everything is nice and intense like Anacrusis, and their singer does a superb job. Everything is pretty close to the original, just adapted into Anacrusis' thrashy style. Good cover.

Metallica - Stone Cold Crazy

Another one I didn't see coming, Metallica covering Queen. This has long been one of my favorite Queen tracks, and I always thought it would sound good played in a heavier style and damn I was right. I wish Metallica would of covered it around 1985 or so though, because it would of sounded better isntead of having an And Justice For All sound to everything. Still, it's badass.

Metallica - Breadfan

This is the song that got me into Budgie. It's a great song, both the original and the cover. It's another rock tune that after I heard it thought it sounded good as a metal song too. Prettymuch the same thing as Stone Cold Crazy...faithful to the original, played Metallica style, would of sounded better covered a few years earlier, but still good to listen to. :)

Opeth - Circle Of Tyrants

Damn, this is just insanely good. The original was cool, but this gives it raspier vocals, a thicker sound with louder production and more keys to it. The effect is just great, this is one of the best covers I've ever heard in my opinion. It's a simply badass song and Opeth have done an amazing adaptation.

Anthrax - Phantom Lord

Seems kind of weird that they covered Metallica, but whatever. Despite having the same sond of their later material, which isn't as cool, it still fucking kicks ass. Puts up a damn good competition with the original. Perfect on the solos, nice double bass and so on.

Exodus - Lowrider

Hahah, what the fuck? To hell with it, this is a badass cover. Lowrider fucking pwns, so does Exodus, so it makes sense it's such a good cover. They did a great job, adding int heir style but not overdoing it with excessive double bass or an overly thick guitar tone. Excellent job, nice way to just lay back and jam. :)

In the Woods - White Rabbit
This song ends up sounding quite similar to the In The Woods style of playing, which at least to me is a good thing.
Vader - lots of slayer
None of them that I've heard are any good. They should stick to making their own songs, of which I think they've made enough.

The Berzerker - Corporal Jigsore Quandary
The drums at the start of the song sounds way too loud and distorted but the rest of the song is pretty much alright.

Thats easy, Graveworm's cover of REM's "Losing My Religion". Its seems like theres no way it should work, but it does work, very well.

And for an inverse, Tori Amo's cover of Slayer's "Raining Blood" is amazing, if completely different from the original.

I thought Demons and Wizards did White Room :confused:

Anyway, for sheer oddity, the chice has to be either Megadeth's cover of These Boots, or Celtic Frost's cover of Mexican Radio.

machine head - message in a bottle. was pretty cool.

i like nearly all black sabbath covers, except i thought system of a down's cover of that song was terrible ... and i dont mind system of a down.

ffanatic said:
I thought Demons and Wizards did White Room

yeah, they did. whoever said blind guardian did that has no idea what they are talkin about. However, Blind Guadian has done some crazy cover songs...

Mr. Sandman
Surfin' USA
Barbara Ann
Long Tall Sally

Shadows Fall did a cool cover of Pink Floyd's Welcome To The Machine, that was also pretty good.

5thSeason said:
yeah, they did. whoever said blind guardian did that has no idea what they are talkin about. However, Blind Guadian has done some crazy cover songs...

Eh, the two aren't exactly polar opposites. It was late and I made a mistake, it happens. :p

Tori Amos's Raining Blood(Slayer) is so cool. The whole concept behind Strange Little Girls is pretty awesome, actually...

Type O Negative's Cinnamon Girl(Neil Young).

Opeth's Circle Of The Tyrants(Celtic Frost)

Blind Guardian's Surfing USA(Sacred Reich)

Six Feet Under's Purple Haze(Jimi Hendrix)

Dream Theater's Bad(U2)

crimsonfloyd said:
Thats easy, Graveworm's cover of REM's "Losing My Religion". Its seems like theres no way it should work, but it does work, very well.

I second that.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Tori Amos's Raining Blood(Slayer) is so cool. The whole concept behind Strange Little Girls is pretty awesome, actually...
It definitely is. Have you also heard her cover version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit"?

Blind Guardian's Surfing USA(Sacred Reich)
Sacred Reich wrote "Surfin´USA"????? Or did you mix it up with "Surf Nicaragua"?

Coroner - "Der Mussolini" (DAF)
Coroner - "Purple Haze" (Jimi Hendrix)
The Gathering (I know they aren´t metal anymore, but who cares?) - "In Power We Entrust The Love Advocated" (Dead Can Dance)
Voivod - "Astronomy Domine" (Pink Floyd)
Voivod - "21st Century Schizoid Man" (King Crimson)
Heathen - "Set Me Free" (The Sweet)
Mekong Delta - "Night On A Bare Mountain" (Mussorgsky)
Megadeth - "I Ain´t Superstitious" (Willie Dixon)

Burkhard said:
Sacred Reich wrote "Surfin´USA"????? Or did you mix it up with "Surf Nicaragua"?
Know what? I'm actually not sure! I think I did mix them up. Surfin' USA is by the beach Boys. Surf Nicaragua is by Sacred Reich.