Could Satan actually exist ? ? ?

MadeInNewJersey said:
^^^^

I would think most people love to hear the progression of said musicians; I know I do. It's why I often seek out bands from their earliest albums onwards, provided it's possible of course.

I hate only hearing the newer stuff and then having to go backwards.

But what if the previous work is inferior?

JayKeeley said:
MP3 samples.

You know my stance on that. How is a person to grasp the full feeling of an album from a few samples through a damn computer? C'mon, black metal is lights off headphone music to be heard in its entirety.

JayKeeley said:
Cool ok. So just to put it in some frame of reference, how would you rate Si Monumentum out of 10? Likewise the other albums.

Blah..I hate rating crap like that but I'll give it a shot.

Si Monumentum (9/10) > Kenose(8/10) > Hirilorn(8/10) > early DsO (6/10)
Roughly. And yes, I know that should make that middle ">" an equal sign.

J. said:
You know my stance on that. How is a person to grasp the full feeling of an album from a few samples through a damn computer? C'mon, black metal is lights off headphone music to be heard in its entirety.

No man, the ENTIRE album ripped at CD quality downloaded to my iPOD. Headphones all the way. It's then that I decide to buy the album. If I do, I delete the MP3s. If I don't like it, I'll delete the MP3s anyway.

It's just something I HAVE to do now because I can't afford to otherwise. I do recognize though that I don't have the ACTUAL CD in my hands, including the artwork and lyrics etc. It's not the exact same experience.

However, when I listen on my iPOD, I rarely have the actual CD packaging with me anyway.

ok. fair enough. i'm in the stone age when it comes to all this ipod/cd burner nonsense, and thats fine by me

I'm getting to the point now where if I like a CD (let's say I rate it for myself at 8/10), so I'm on the fence about buying it, I'm going to consider sending $5 directly to the artist.

Furthermore, if I could, I'd rather buy the CD from the artist directly anyway just so they can keep the maximum profit possible. I am sickened at the idea that for a $12 CD, the artist only gets $0.70.

Thanatopsis123 said:
Blah..I hate rating crap like that but I'll give it a shot.

Si Monumentum (9/10) > Kenose(8/10) > Hirilorn(8/10) > early DsO (6/10)
Roughly. And yes, I know that should make that middle ">" an equal sign.

having just spent some cash on early DsO, it better be better than 6/10! :tickled:

I can't imagine a band jumping from only slightly better than average to where Deathspell is on Si Monumentum. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

By the way, I rip everything I get to mp3 so I can listen to it anywhere. I can take like 300 CDs with me in a little mp3 player also. But I still can't get past not owning the CD. I've bought CDs of promos I have, just because I didn't have the official thing.

Early DsO is a 7/10 for me. And yes, I agree with Nate. MP3s are great, but owning the CD is great too. plus sometimes you want the CD quality. :D

Time to bring clarity to this board gone blind: Hirilorn is in no fucking way - I repeat in no fucking way - anywhere close in style and atmosphere to early DsO. Expecting something from one of said bands based on the other is pretty inadequate - I repeat pretty inadequate.

JayKeeley said:
I'm getting to the point now where if I like a CD (let's say I rate it for myself at 8/10), so I'm on the fence about buying it, I'm going to consider sending $5 directly to the artist.

Furthermore, if I could, I'd rather buy the CD from the artist directly anyway just so they can keep the maximum profit possible. I am sickened at the idea that for a $12 CD, the artist only gets $0.70.
I don't see how that is fair, considering the rest of the money goes to the record label. If a record label can't make enough profit off a band then chances are they won't get signed up for another CD.

Of course, this doesn't apply to bigger sized labels and bands. :Spin:

[/irony that I don't buy CDs fullstop]