Cyhra - Jesper and Peter's new band

I still don't see the power anywhere. I don't know what's your concept of power metal, but the genre is nowhere near this.

Tell me that Jake has some heavy metal influences, a lot of alt rock and pop and that would be a more accurate description. But power metal? Come on! Lets be serious about this.

Boring to you, not to many others.

Only real PM song on LtM is 'Here To Save You' which is very, very strong PM elements all the way through. Rest of the album is just standard melodic metal.

Karma - Pointless shitty electronics followed by IF trademark melodic intro. Some neat guitar work through the song, unfortunately buried in the mix and below vocals. And vocals, not sure they work in this song. Catchy tune with some energy and great signature melody, but that's it. Deliver Us type single. 7/10

Heartrage - Nice intro melody and groovy drums, then some clayman-ish rhythm guitar with good vocal melodies. Cool break and great catchy chorus (lyrics are a bit gay). Another piece of IF sound towards the end of the song. Another cool slow break then more decent melodic work on guitar. Strong catchy tune with nice dynamics going on between the different parts. 8.5/10

Here To Save You - Melancholic acoustic intro, classic heavy riff kicks in with some tasty drumming, then some of the best vocal stuff on this album. Unfortunately chorus is very generic, music and vocals both. Out of nowhere - great little solo. All going well - but then we get 2.50 and that awful totally unnecessary electronics. Fuck, how did that even end up on the actual album? Chorus, riff, end. Solid tune with some highlights and some lows. 7/10

Muted Life - Epic beginning with nice strings and great guitar melody. Not this could be called something that resembles symphonic power or something. Nice verse with some nice drumming. Epic chorus with so much emotion and power. Solid solo on this one. Nothing spectacular and really memorable, but not a bit above the average. I like this song. 8.5/10

Closure - Now this is why we love Jesper. Dark and gay little melodies and acoustics. Electronics work on this one, for once. Great vocals with pure emotion. Then, chorus that could fill stadiums if Cyhra was called Iron Maiden, Metallica or Aerosmith or whatever. Solo has a nice melody, but we're missing some epic, majestic part in the end. This whole song just works, and I'm singing this in my head right now. 9.5/10

Letter To Myself - Sledgehammer riff in ASOP style. Decent verse. Great catchy chorus with some great drumming that really fits. Verse, chorus etc. We're getting a bit formulaic here. Solo just didn't live up to its potential. Good rhythm, good beginning, but then nothing happens. Another single song. 7/10

Dark Clarity - Sweet melody in the intro, fucked up by that electronics that pop up here and there. Now, vocal melodies are quite mediocre here, but this song has some speed and intensity and it works for me at this point of the album. Another song where drummer really shines. Guy know the job. Nice wah in the melodic parts towards the end of the song (Bjorn, please take note). OK song. Nothing special. 7/10

Holding Your Breath - LOL, first few seconds (electronics and vocals) sound like Linking Park. Then some awesome melodic/power metal chorus. Not a fan of those high vocals, but it works for this one. Like the rest of the album, rhythm guitar does unremarkable but really effective job. Nothing special on its own, but adds to song well. Sweet solo, great sound, great choice of notes, great wah. Fun thing - sounds like something Bjorn would write for SOAPF/SC/Battles if he had inspiration. Not really convinced 'bout the intro, but the rest of the song is great. 8/10

Rescue Ride - Nice piano, nice verse vocal melody (almost like rapping). Chorus - hm, this is really like something out of very commercial modern melodic power metal band. Nice but mediocre emotional break, another chorus and that's it. OK, but nothing special. 7/10

Black Wings - Kinda continues on previous song. Good vocal intro, good rhythmic pre-chorus, epic chorus that sounds like the world is coming down. Another sweet melody/solo although I would choose different progression for that faster guitar run. Beautiful ending. If I did this album, I would make that a fade out and end album with this song.

Inside a Lullaby - This one sounds like a bonus song. OK, it's a nice tunce if you like this genre. Something that could end up on Amaranthe, Delain or early-mid Sonata Arctica album. I'm getting some Celine Dion vibes here. :) 6.5/10 (but I'm observing this as very unmetal and bonus-like track)

Dead To Me - Another one that sounds like bonus song. Great early IF style acoustic, unfortunately accompanied by that weird talking. Verse is fine, but then chorus sounds like some obscure american folk-pop-rock singer. Real instruments kick in, and the song picks up some speed and energy, but 20 seconds later we're back to the talking part. Repeat, repeat and we're at cool, if unremarkable, melodic ending. This one feels really unfinished. 6/10

So, it's a good and catchy album. I've been listening to it since the leak/release pretty much all the time and it's still holding my attention. I enjoy it. There is nothing that really bother me except some shitty electronics here and there and that DTM talking. Everything else is mediocre but pleasant, above the average or excellent. I would rate this with 7.5/10.

Not really sure about the genre, but I do like it, when I overcome expectations about the growls and MDM. Unlike new IF efforts, this thing actually works both as metal or as music in general. Jakes vocals are better than I expected. Not one of the kind vocals, but he's very capable and pretty much 8-9/10 metal bands would be happy to have him.

For the future I would like:

- experienced producer
- less songs, but longer songs that would allow for melodic ideas and riff to develop better and break intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus cycle that we have on this album
- less electronics fucking up good songs
- more quality riffs
- more attention given to solos
- more attention given to generic vocals lines in some songs
- better record label that could really promote this stuff

- experienced producer
- less songs, but longer songs that would allow for melodic ideas and riff to develop better and break intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus cycle that we have on this album
- less electronics fucking up good songs
- more quality riffs
- more attention given to solos
- more attention given to generic vocals lines in some songs
- better record label that could really promote this stuff
This.

You're living at war with reality.

That was an awesome album. I need to hear another At The Gates album, don't know how will it sound without Anders Björler but I'm excited for it.

So what? Do you think that Anders is something better?

Even though Anders is not good at cleans I can say that he IS better than Jake. While Anders has his unique vocal style, you can find similar vocals to Jake at any power metal song. I know you claim that its not near power metal but it is similar to power metal vocal style. I'm listening Dark Clarity while writing this and you can see the power metal thing, maybe you cant hear it because you cant say shit about Cyhra but it is true. You're calling me a fanboy but I can see that you became the fanboy of Cyhra lol.

Even though Anders is not good at cleans I can say that he IS better than Jake.
Seriously? In which alternative universe?

While Anders has his unique vocal style, you can find similar vocals to Jake at any power metal song.
Anders has not a unique vocal style. His voice is very similar to that of many heavy metal singers, except that he can't really sing.

I know you claim that its not near power metal but it is similar to power metal vocal style. I'm listening Dark Clarity while writing this and you can see the power metal thing, maybe you cant hear it because you cant say shit about Cyhra but it is true.
I don't know how, unless power metal has changed that much. Examples are needed.

I can say shit about, Cyhra. It is you that just don't read what I write. In fact, I can say shit about everything. You just try me.

You're calling me a fanboy but I can see that you became the fanboy of Cyhra lol.
Then I'm a lame fanboy fanboy.

Oh my God :D even Krofius admitted Jake is abetter singer than Anders. Ciko just surrendered any right to ever be taken seriously again :rofl:

Reactions: eochaid
Yeah, just a bad one.

Although apparently "unique" is what were going with now :D
I'm confused here.

"Singer: a person who sings, especially a trained or professional vocalist."

"Sing:
a :to produce musical tones by means of the voice
b :to utter words in musical tones and with musical inflections and modulations
c :to deliver songs as a trained or professional singer"

I've never seen Anders doing something like this.:D

This is fucking awesome. It just proves we, the "haters" were right all these years, while people how were raving about mature IF, exploration of new genres, clean singing, vocal melodies and what not, don't give a shit about all that, but are actually in love in Anders studio enhanced "singing" capabilities.

I mean it's an insult to everyone with functioning ears to say that Anders is better than Jake. Guy literally has one of the worst, most annoying voices ever when not screaming. OK, maybe some people like that. But dude also can't hit a proper note to save his life, dies when he has to string more then five words together in live environment and has a vocal range of broken dishwasher.

Cyhra is both musically more interesting, more catchy and light years ahead in vocal department of anything IF have done on the last two albums. Alas, it's not called IF so it's bad, right?

Oh my God :D even Krofius admitted Jake is abetter singer than Anders. Ciko just surrendered any right to ever be taken seriously again :rofl:
A technically better singer doesn't mean anyone would or should prefer it over someone else. If that were the case then by the same logic we'd all love the Idol show and their singers because technically, they're great. I'd take Anders any era any day of the week over Jake. If we're only comparing Battles vocals vs Cyhra I'd still take Battles. And I still think the unique thing is true, I haven't really heard anyone that sounds like Anders vocals (not just cleans but screams and growls too). If you know of anyone then please show me.

You can equate unique with bad, that's fine. That's kind of what unique means in a sense, it's kind of a line, either you like it or you don't. It's like Kurt Cobain, and I'm no Nirvana fan at all, but he had a really unique voice even though technically his singing wasn't great at all. I don't put any value whatsoever in what musical degree or background anyone has or how technically skilled someone is, why should we? If you think it sounds good it doesn't matter. It's like Jazz drummers, they might be insanely skilled technically but it bores me to death.

I haven't really heard anyone that sounds like Anders vocals (not just cleans but screams and growls too). If you know of anyone then please show me.
Leaving aside that I just showed my wife that horrid song that he made for his son and she said that it sounded like 30 seconds to mars, leaving aside that his cleans are generic power metal, can you do the same about Jake? Can you show anyone that sounds exactly like him?

I.agree that anders screams were... "different", but his growls and cleans... Come on!

He's back :rofl:

Just whatever. Since you found Cyhra boring you shouldn't need to post in this thread again anyway, right?

I already said Jake sounds very similar like Timo from Stratovarius but obviously without the hint of Finnish accent. I'm not gonna waste time and look up bands and singers to try to convince you he has a vocal style heard 100 times. I've already seen several other people say it's a bit generic and has similarities with vocals of PM singers, that's good enough for me. If you disagree that's fine. I'm sorry de4life I can post in any thread I'd like, just like you. Free speech, annoying isn't it? I don't know which country you're from but maybe that's not a thing in your country =)

I did find it mostly boring, about that you're correct. Now you can go back holding hands with each other ;>