Dance Of Death!!!

"You don't have to love every band that has huge influence on a particular genre. I do like a few Maiden songs, but on the whole I don't like them."

Either way, that doesn't mean there's any point just saying " I hate Maiden" oe whatever you said, when I only asked for people's cosntructive comments!

75 huh? I wonder why I was thinking 78?

And I actually find it funny when people just go, "they suck" or "you have shitty taste". Like I'm all the sudden, after listening to Maiden for almost 20 years go "holy shit, you're right. I'd better stop listening to them and sell all their cds."

FrostGiant said:
And I actually find it funny when people just go, "they suck" or "you have shitty taste". Like I'm all the sudden, after listening to Maiden for almost 20 years go "holy shit, you're right. I'd better stop listening to them and sell all their cds."

:lol: So true.

I finally got a review done by the way (track by track) so if anyone's interested, it's up at www.royalcarnage.com. It's in the 'reviews' index, NOT the Maiden feature.

My fave song? Montsegur.

JayKeeley said:
:lol: So true.

I finally got a review done by the way (track by track) so if anyone's interested, it's up at www.royalcarnage.com. It's in the 'reviews' index, NOT the Maiden feature.

My fave song? Montsegur.

Montsegur is a weird (but good) song, kinda like The Number of the Beast. Dealing with really intense subject matter in an upbeat, "happy" manner.

ffanatic said:
Montsegur is a weird (but good) song, kinda like The Number of the Beast. Dealing with really intense subject matter in an upbeat, "happy" manner.

The thing I like about DoD the most is that it'll grow overtime. The songs aren't too catchy and so it doesn't get boring too quickly. It was years before I realized the genius of Killers, whereas Seventh Son was an instant hit. I think I listen to Seventh Son the least nowadays.

Montsegur in particular is the closest I've heard Maiden get to their 80's riff sound since...well, the 80's.

definately agreed there JK. what i've heard so far doesn't blow me away, but its enough to perk my interest, and I can tell from that that i'll get a lot of listens out of DoD before I even appreciate it fully. I like it when that happens!

JayKeeley said:
The thing I like about DoD the most is that it'll grow overtime. The songs aren't too catchy and so it doesn't get boring too quickly. It was years before I realized the genius of Killers, whereas Seventh Son was an instant hit. I think I listen to Seventh Son the least nowadays.

Montsegur in particular is the closest I've heard Maiden get to their 80's riff sound since...well, the 80's.

Yeah when I first heard that opening, I thought, "this has gotta be a left over from the Piece of Mind sessions"

Great album, I love it. I like it better than Brave New World and its their best since Seventh Son. I like it the same as I like Seventh Son, Powerslave and Piece Of Mind. I like NUmber Of The Beast and Somewhere In Time slightly better. It still has the time to grow up there with them too. My favorite is "Rainmaker". I like every song on the album though. Not a bad one. "New Frontier" reminds me of "Road To Hell" by Bruce Dickinson. Overall one of the best albums of the year. UP THE IRONS!

SculptedCold said:
definately agreed there JK. what i've heard so far doesn't blow me away, but its enough to perk my interest, and I can tell from that that i'll get a lot of listens out of DoD before I even appreciate it fully. I like it when that happens!

What's good about it for me is that Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith seem to have some more influence this time round on the song writing, and Steve Harris has only written one song on his own.

It works for me because much of DoD sounds like solo Bruce Dickinson material, and albums like Chemical Wedding match the best that Maiden have ever had to offer.

I only wish the production was better....

I've had my copy since ProgPowerIV and I must say that I LOVE it! I liked Brave New World... probably only because it was Maiden, but this album is much more enjoyable! I hate the cover art, but luckily for me that doesn't matter at all! My favorite songs are Paschendale, Wildest Dreamm, New Frontier, and Montsegur....

:kickass:

~Sh0k~

Favorite Tracks:

Paschendale - Really cool structure and I love the opening.

Face In The Sand - Just damn cool.

Montsegur - Nice and heavy, good intro, Ilove the chorus and the song is well crafted.

Dance of Death - One of the best songs from the last 5 years of metal. Love the string instruments on it.

New Frontier - Nice song all round, good chorus.

Gates Of Tomarrow - Gotta love the oddball sound of it. Cool vocals.

Fuck it, I like the whole CD just damn fine. I reviewed this for my school paper and I'll post a link to the page as soon as we upload the PDF.

I got my copy 4 days early and drove around showing all my friends who I knew would be pissed. :D

A quick message to JayKeeley...

I'd just like to thank and congratulate you (and the rest of your webzine) for an awesome onlinh metal source.

I've spent a long time browsing through all it's features, and it is superb! I've read several reviews and interviews, as well as the other features, and they're all great!

Also thankyou personally for the excellent reviews you have written...

I will definitely be re-visiting your site! Keep up the good work!

\m/

note to everyone else: www.royalcarnage.com - check it out now!