Daniel Gildenlow vs Michael Akerfeldt

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Now,I know this is a purely subjective thread. With that in mind, IMHO, Gildenlow and Akerfeldt are two of the best vocalists in music today. In any genre period. For me , it's Akerfeldt and I'm basing my opinion on "Still Life." Serenety Painted Death is a perfect example. The death growls are as if, summoned from Hell and the clean are just perfect. Benighted is the most beautiful song with the guitar work and vocals I have ever heard. Gildenlow, while excellent seems to favor the histrionic vocal style. All over the place, as if to show off his incredible prowess. Be that as it may , he still is awesome. For myself, I prefer the vocals of Akerfeldt. What are your opinions as to your favorite. BTW, do not verbally attack me if this has already been posted, for if you do I will rip off your head and shit down your neck. LOL HA HA HA.:lol: :Smokedev:

Finally a poll that isn't absurd or plainly obvious!

Tough call, but I'm going to have to go with Gildenlöw. His work on 12:5 and BE floored me. Just as you said, he and Åkerfeldt are two of the best there are, I'd also include Jørn Lande. Not easy to choose from, and I'm sure i'll change my mind before finishing typing this.

Mikael.

I find Daniel Gildenlow extremely grating to listen to and can't stand Pain of Salvation.

Miakel ...the best metal Vocalist out there......???........Hmmm.......of all teh bands ive heard...hes def. one of the better ones...the guy from Tarot...i think he does abss for nightwish now...hes pretty good too......also I stil think James labrie adn soem dudes on teh Ayreaon : Human equation CD are insalny good...the ma,es escape me.....Keep rockin....yeah rahter a subjective topic...!!!!.....PEAC EOUT

I love both. Mikael wins because his vocals can cover more territory. They can be soft and warm or harsh and cold. Gildenlow is much more talented imo. And he can convey urgency like no other.

Actually I can't vote. They are both perfectly equiped for what they do.

@waz...that bassist/singer for Tarot is Marco. I like him too (and his awesome beard braids). I like the female vocals on THE.

edit - James vocal's are the only bad thing about THE imo.

just listeednd to USED by POS...that danile guy has the best vibrato Ive ever heard......beautifull....teh most contorl...adn a prefect tone for teh way he sings....very veyr good...im def. checkin out more of their stuff...relyl great band...thanx guys....PEAC EOUT

Who the hell is Daniel Gildenlöw?

Another guy with a cool looking vowel in his name? (See: Åkerfeldt; Swanö; Jørn)

Just kidding. I know who he is.

- Åkerfeldt wins people, just give it up. (I suppose I should listen to more of Gildenlöw's stuff then.)

It seems you either love PoS almost as much as Opeth or you completely hate them. Though I'd have to say, the "cheesiness" argument escapes me. Akerfeldt wins, but only by a margin. It's almost certain to change if I go listen to TPE right now.

Braighs said:
I love both. Mikael wins because his vocals can cover more territory. They can be soft and warm or harsh and cold.

hmm... i wouldn't necessarily agree. Sure, Akerfieldt has the grunt of doom which gildenlow doesn't, but the range of "clean" styles and kinds of emotion that i get out of Gildenlow's singing covers far, FAR more ground than Mikael for me. When mikael sings clean, it really mostly sounds the same to me. His growl seems to have different "feels" to it as well, but i suspect that has more to do with the music behind the growl giving a supporting "theme" with which to interpret the growl.

what we should be arguing is:

Mikael's OOUUUHHHGGG and YAHHHHHHHHH
vs.
Daniel's AHUAH CHA CHA CHIGITY CHA D'OWA

Daniel wins that.

I prefer Mikael, I think his clean voice is absolutely beautiful, more so than Gildenlow who is obviously a very talented vocalist. Gilgenlow annoys me sometimes though- he does this shouty thing that really irritates me... hard to explain.

I know what you're talking about. he does it a lot on 12:5. I think it shows his talent but really isn't necessary in some spots of the album, though it's clear that he does it because he's getting really into the music, and that is cool.

1) Because 95% of the answers ARENT favoring Mikael
2) Because we tend to be open minded about things like this
3) Because most of us really like PoS