Dark fucking Throne!

Since I didn't respond to this initially, I wanted to respond to your claim of Panzerfaust being anti-music:

I'm not terribly familiar with the concept, but to me anti-music is something which mocks or satirises traditional music by sounding almost like the real thing but with certain aspects cleverly taken to a point of absurdity. I'm not sure how one can objectively determine which efforts at anti-music are more convincing, but I think one aspect of it is whether there's still a sense of effort and calculation behind it.

Imo there's other Darkthrone material which is mroe valid as anti-music. One example would be one of the main riffs in "Paragon Belial" off ABITNS (sorry I can't say exactly what part of the song it's in, I'm not at my home comp atm). The riff is so fucking dissonant it's almost hilarious. Eventually the drums come in to support the riff, and it's like any super-heavy section of a metal song you'd want to headbang like crazy to, but you'd expect the riff to be more melodic or anthemic at a time like that, but instead it's this twisted mess of guitar notes... yet it still fucking rocks.

Anyway, I really respect that passage because it seems calculated. The vocals on a lot of Panzerfaust, however don't seem that clever to me... just kind of haphazard.

Your approach seems to be to project the attributes you like in other genres on to black metal rather than appreciate the core features of the genre. I think this is why you fail to grasp extreme metal.

Since you seem to think I'm failing to appreciate extreme metal unlike Hubster, although we're both discussing anti-musical aspects of Darkthrone's music, please explain where my grasp of the concept of anti-music falls short of Hubster's.

Like I said earlier, there's other bands that are way more "anti-music" than Darkthrone anyway, and I also think "anti-music" is a stupid term.

That post had nothing to do with Hubster or "anti-music".

And my post was not about extreme metal as a genre, but you took it to mean that anyway. I was evaluating Darkthrone's status as anti-music, not making judgments about extreme metal.

Like I said earlier, there's other bands that are way more "anti-music" than Darkthrone anyway, and I also think "anti-music" is a stupid term.

Well it's an interesting topic, but probably not one to dwell on in this thread.

I've always thought that the term referred to something more akin to grindcore or even noise rather than black metal, which usually has structure and melody.

I have no clue about its origins or definition, but I've read one reviewer who used it to describe music that was essentially parodic in nature, but which employed parody through purely musical means as opposed to the typical Weird Al style lyrics-based parody. Again, not an authoritative source for the term, but it's one way to look at it. It seems consistent with the way Hubster used the term, in that Culto's vocals could be seen as a jest toward other extreme vocals. I should probably let Hubster clarify what he meant, though.

Black Metal's take on anti-music is not so much anti-music as it is anti-metal. It's anarchic nature concentrates on the locality of metal, and rebels against it. However, it's "anti-philosophy" is two-fold. Both anti-metal, and anti-(external and local to metal) society.

I was in no way implying jest in the trajectory of the anarchy, to mock within such a philosophy is intellectually primitive and below the core of the philosophy itself. Jest or mirth is irrelevant. Supremacy and elitism is paramount.

Not sure if this answers your question, but its how I see it.

There's some humor in there, I think. "AND I ONLY GOT WET ON MY FEEEEET!"

On another note, These Shores Are Damned is a kickass song.

There's some humor in there, I think. "AND I ONLY GOT WET ON MY FEEEEET!"

On another note, These Shores Are Damned is a kickass song.

Yeah. That song is what got me into f.o.a.d so am actually looking forward to there new album . I have heard all their previous albums and they are some of the most boring albums i've ever heard.

you might like A Blaze In The Northern Sky, that's what got me into them. I used to really dislike them and now they've kicked a lot of other BM off my iPod

A Blaze Across A Northern Sky is the one that's been recommended to me most so I plan to pick that up sooner or later.

Anyone got other album suggestions?

I currently just have F.O.A.D

A Blaze Across A Northern Sky is the one that's been recommended to me most so I plan to pick that up sooner or later.

Get the first five, and if you like F.O.A.D. also pick up The Cult Is Alive.

Soulside Journey, since it's different from the rest of their stuff (i.e. death metal).

Peaceville just made the song Hiking Metal Punx available for download, but with a catch, you have to sign up for their mailing list. I used an old email and got it, and the song is very much a continuation of FOAD, a bit more punky though (no surprise there).

Here's the link to get the song: http://www.burningshed.com/store/peaceville/freedownload/8/

I could probably help a few people out through PM if they don't want to be bothered with the lame mailing list.

I briefly listened to the song, and I do enjoy the sound that they are after, like on "F.O.A.D." but I didn't really think much of the song.