Dark fucking Throne!

Will this finally be the record when people start admitting that this band is over the hill and sucks now?

I certainly hope so. I love and respect their early work just as much as the next guy but these fellows have worn out their welcome.

Hardly. You guys just haven't moved past TH yet. Don't get me wrong, your well within your rights to not have.

Fenriz and Culto may not be so serious, but they're still releasing some very fucking cool shit. The material off these last two records is metal as FUCK. Along with Aura Noir's Hades Rise, I personally believe what's going with these two bands is what real Black Metal is really about in 2008. I think they're miles ahead of everyone else.

Hardly. You guys just haven't moved past TH yet. Don't get me wrong, your well within your rights to not have. Fenriz and Culto may not be so serious, but they're still releasing some very fucking cool shit.

I'm not saying new Darkthrone material isn't enjoyable on some level. It's just that their early works were pioneering, whereas this newer stuff is just something I might enjoy throwing on when I'm knocking back some brews but little beyond that as far as I can tell. I think people should quit while they're ahead.

The last punk-influenced record was TCIA. Nothing since has been punk-influenced, only various metal influences from the early-mid 80s.

I find it odd about people complaining re: production. I see nothing wrong with it. The only minor complaint that I could possibly think of is that Fenriz's kit sounds a little too organic and needs more dirt. That's about it really.

I'm not saying new Darkthrone material isn't enjoyable on some level. It's just that their early works were pioneering, whereas this newer stuff is just something I might enjoy throwing on when I'm knocking back some brews but little beyond that as far as I can tell. I think people should quit while they're ahead.
I agree with this.
That's fair enough... Does it really need to be pioneering though? Why can't it just be good music?
It's certainly not important to be pioneering and a simple good sounding record for passive playback would do fine, but one expects genius from a band of such great stature.

They continue to output a consistent high standard, albeit, that of a different trajectory.

Agree to disagree - I just think people aren't approaching them the right way and haven't moved on.

.sounding sweet so far!

darkthronesblackflags.jpg

The Winds They Called The Dungeon Shaker
Oath Minus
Hiking Metal Punks
Blacksmith Of The North
Norway In September
Grizzly Trade
Hanging Out In Haiger
Dark Thrones And Black Flags
Launchpad To Nothingness
Witch Ghetto

I listened to it last night and thought it was alright. I'm giving it a second listen right now, and am enjoying it a lot more. I agree with Hubster on the production values.

I liked it a lot on 3rd listen.

The vocals kinda remind me (and Guy/Addo Ov Nex) of Tom Warrior circa Hellhammer and very early Celtic Frost.

Hardly. You guys just haven't moved past TH yet. Don't get me wrong, your well within your rights to not have.

Fenriz and Culto may not be so serious, but they're still releasing some very fucking cool shit. The material off these last two records is metal as FUCK. Along with Aura Noir's Hades Rise, I personally believe what's going with these two bands is what real Black Metal is really about in 2008. I think they're miles ahead of everyone else.

:lol:

Up until Sardonic Wrath or The Cult is Alive, I really liked Darkthrone's stuff, everything after is a mixture of things for me, some of it good(Too Old, Too Cold), some I didn't like much like FOAD, the new song is kinda in the middle of those.

Got Frostland Tapes in the mail today. Just about finished with Disc 1.This is some pretty cool stuff. Very interesting sound. You can tell that even early on they had a variety of influences.

Up until Sardonic Wrath or The Cult is Alive, I really liked Darkthrone's stuff, everything after is a mixture of things for me, some of it good(Too Old, Too Cold), some I didn't like much like FOAD, the new song is kinda in the middle of those.

Hit up some Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Death Angel, Iron Maiden, and even (early) Megadeth or Metallica before getting into FOAD or DTABF. Once you hammer those bands a bit, the approach of these last two records will make much more sense.

If after that, you still get nothing, I guess it's safe to say it's just not your thing <shrugs>