Death Metal/Deathcore Vocal Patterns

Blaze Burns Red

New Metal Member
Apr 15, 2010
Why would you want to memorize them? Those lyrics aren't provided with the intent of helping people memorize the lyrics, they're there in case you want to check if the band are Nazis or not before mentioning that you like them.

@WAIF: ...wat?

I have to be honest, I'm not sure what you are talking about OP.

Are the lyrics on that site transcribed from someone's interpretation? If yes, that sucks and I see no point in doing that unless the band hasn't released the lyrics for said song. If you are actually talking about the layout (as the text is presented), then go to a better site or (better yet) fix it yourself.

Other than that, you will never "see" the vocal patterns in a text layout for those types of band unless someone takes the time to write it down in proper notational form or the band releases a book. Your best bet is to just learn the stressings of the lyrics and how it is interpolated through the music.

Before I even bother to learn the lyrics of the song, I need to consider if there is a point to it: In a minimal sense, we can differentiate between vocalizations in a few ways: how it is stratified amongst the instrumentation and by the diction. I find no point in learning the lyrics to songs if the diction is - for lack of a better term - inarticulate/unintelligible. Example: I couldn't give a shit about learning Mortician lyrics because there is nothing audibly clear, just sound patterns - that is easy to replicate on its own - hence, fuck lyrics.

Or take Exhumed: only half the lyrics are capable of being deciphered, the rest are just garbled together. If I have a band doing an Exhumed cover, certainly I would want to be able to replicate the parts everyone can understand. Other than that, just try to sound similar.

There is just no point to learning the lyrics to some bands unless they have some sort of connection to you (ex: you like them, they are well written, etc.) Plus, why would you want to learn vocal lines in such a visual way? The way to learn as I have seen by nearly everyone's standards is with actual practice. Usually that entails doing it with music (unless your the type of guy who loves a cappella).

I stopped paying attention to lyrics in all genres of music when I turned 18. My feeble old brain can't handle it.

Just listen to the songs and read along until you can follow along. Not rocket science!

IMG00032-20100416-2051-1.jpg

Not Death Metal/Deathcore, but still a pain in the ass if you want to memorize it