Death Metal Hates

This is a very interesting thread. I have been listening to Death Metal for about 20 years (yeah I am old, 36 to be exact) and I myslef to tend to lean toards old-school death metal like; Death, Obituary, Pestilence, Malevolent Creation, Carcass, Morbid Angle, Deicide, and others but I can not deny allot of the newer forms of death metal their greatness. While I do think it might be watered down a bit now as there are just some many more death metal bands now than there were 20 years ago, there is still allot of good death metal coming out.

In the last 10 years or so it just seems that every band wants to be the fastest or the most insane pig-vomited vocals. I do not think that speed or pig vomited vocals defind death metal at all. Just look at Sepultura's - Beneath The Remains, that is clasic death metal at it's finest. No "real" speed and no disgusting vocals. Just great writen death metal songs. Now if that album came out today it would not even be concidered death metal but Beneath The Remains is clasic death metal.

Not everyone is going ti like every death metal band.

Peter

bloodsoakedlogo666.jpg

Leiland said:
Wtf Obituary, why are they so popular?

Obituary is a great band and have been for many years. When I first heard Slowly We Rot back in like 1989 or something on WERS (collage raido) in Boston I fell in love. Obituary sounds like no other Death Metal band and no one sounds like them. They are an origianl and clasic death metal band!!!

Peter

bloodsoakedlogo666.jpg

Bloodsoaked666 said:
Just look at Sepultura's - Beneath The Remains, that is clasic death metal at it's finest.

Peter

Not trying to be an asshole to you but i do and always have considered that album thrash, and yes it is awesome:headbang:

Bloodsoaked666 said:
Obituary is a great band and have been for many years. When I first heard Slowly We Rot back in like 1989 or something on WERS (collage raido) in Boston I fell in love. Obituary sounds like no other Death Metal band and no one sounds like them. They are an origianl and clasic death metal band!!!

Peter

Hey man are you still in Boston? It's always good to see some people from the area on here.

Also a note on the gore lyrics. I don't mind bands that have them because I like the lyrics, not because I can't hear them and don't care about them. I guess it's just personal preference at this point.

Leiland said:
Bloodsoaked666 said:
Just look at Sepultura's - Beneath The Remains, that is clasic death metal at it's finest.

Peter

Not trying to be an asshole to you but i do and always have considered that album thrash, and yes it is awesome:headbang:
It is essentially thrash, though most people consider it death/thrash or even black/thrash.

I generally agree with what Hammer is saying. However I think some newer bands are trying to resurrect that old school sinister approach. Specifically, I think a band like Crimson Massacre has a ton of potential where most of their peers fail. This may sound slightly ironic since they are a rather technical band (usually the needlessly over the top drumming) but if they could hone that energy and unique riffage a little more and downplay the uneeded technical aspects I believe they could be one of the best modern dm bands today.

In summation, modern DM needs more bands that take that sort of approach to their songwriting and overall sound (sinister atmosphere, sinister riffing etc.).

Hammer of Might said:
Superbly put.

This is of course perfectly acceptable, and everyone can find entertaining elements in the lyrics, but do you not think it contradicts the first paragraph? To me the "sinister and thoroughly disagreeable atmosphere" is hardly the same if a band is clearly having a mess around based on chopped up limbs etc.

Of course it's funny, but I sometimes want to take music seriously too!

Would anyone deny the power of Necroticism?

Honestly, I find, say the lyrics of Gorerotted or Ghoul to be very amusing. The lyrics of Impaled or Exhumed, while gore filled, do not make the music any less sinister or atmospheric (especially the latter albums of both the last two acts). It depends rather on the band, to be honest. No one would say that Gorerotteds lyrics are meant to be taken at all seriously, and yet the musical composition of a track like, for instance, "Stab Me Til I Cum" does tend to make it closer to Old School DM - to my ears at least.

I agree that most Unique Leader stuff sucks. But there is also lots of good brutal death out there. And gore lyrics don't bug me, as infantile as they maybe be. I much prefer gore lyrics over love/relationship/girls lyrics.

to me depends of the gore lyrics, i don't pay much atention to lyrics anyway, but they can infact inhance the music.
Carcass for instance had amusing gore lyrics, very well done.

Life Sucks said:
I agree that most Unique Leader stuff sucks. But there is also lots of good brutal death out there. And gore lyrics don't bug me, as infantile as they maybe be. I much prefer gore lyrics over love/relationship/girls lyrics.
I think Unique Leader hit a low point for a whileby releasing bland calideath, which is my least favorite of the three major US scenes, but I think they are improving. Anyone who signs Vomit Remnants is good in my book :kickass:

Reactions: V.V.V.V.V.
cookiecutter said:
I think Unique Leader hit a low point for a whileby releasing bland calideath, which is my least favorite of the three major US scenes, but I think they are improving. Anyone who signs Vomit Remnants is good in my book :kickass:

+1 rep because it's pretty much a good call; Calideath is generally kind of bland...I prefer TX or NY, myself. And I know you feel the same. :p But yeah they signed VR, Unmerciful, etc lately which owns.

No idea, their site has given 0 indication so far, I don't think. I'm also looking forward to new Woundeep, goddamn! That needs to be done...soon! I bet they'll fucking break up though; crazy Japs.

cookiecutter said:

Vomit Remnants... why do they have niggas talking as song intro samples 'macabre mementos' and murderous thoughts determined"

I have to ask because i got this burnt off a mate, and he thinks it's funny to come up to me and start talking like a nigga because i hate that shit so... did he edit it as a shit joke or is it actually on this album?