Death Metal Thread

Pls, don't forget

CANNIBAL CORSPE Eaten back to life, especially,
but all records till' Vile are great in my opinion
IMMOLATION Dawn of possession
MASSACRE From beyond

Glad you mentioned Eucharist here. Has always been one of my fave Swedish death metal band ever, as well as the debut album by Necrophobic.

Probably my all time fave death bands are Carcass and Gorefest anyway. Both their 'Necroticism' and 'False' are IMMENSE :worship:
Even 'Altars of madness' by Morbid Angel is a death metal must. As well as many records of Death, though my fave is probably 'Individual thought patterns', that's another way to intend death metal in my opinion.

Death metal was, is and will always be the best :Shedevil: It all began with it, it opened my mind to a lot of other great stuff and different bands, such as Katatonia, AnathemA, Paradise Lost, Novembre and many more.
I do not play death metal so much anymore nowadays, but some of the records mentioned here, will stay forever.

Soulside Journey is great. Occasionally the songwriting is a little weird/mediocre but it's a really good death metal album overall. Probably in my top 15.

And yes Nile have been consistent with what they do, but they just don't impress me any more. Occasionally they put out a really epic track but most of it just seems really stale to me in comparison to truly morbid acts like most of the ones I mentioned. But, as I said, I find most of that dark/doomy stuff superior to anything else in death metal, so I suppose you could say Nile is already at a disadvantage for me, considering they aren't too dark at all.

As far as albums go, my favs roughly in order I guess...

Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Winter - Into Darkness
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites
Asphyx - The Rack
Fleshcrawl - Descend Into the Absurd
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
God Macabre - The Winterlong

Carcass is another band that I used to like a lot but stopped caring for due to their lack of kvlty deathiness. I still think they're more interesting than Nile though at their very best. "Reek of Putrefaction" is probably in my top 10 DM songs.

Great list there, Nathan! Some real gems there.

Now that they were mentioned, I'll say Cannibal Corpse are the most overrated DM band ever. Don't think I have sat through a whole album in 4-5 years...just too bland.

Symphonies Of Sickness is a superb DM album...And shit...I forgot Autopsy didn't I? Mental Funeral is probably the best DM album ever.

^same here, they have a couple of good tracks, but i haven't ever listened through a whole album. good live act though.

You are seriously not aware that Darkthrone's debut "Soulside Journey" is a pure Death Metal album? It was even recorded @ Sunlight in yer bloody hometown! Pretty good album btw..

no, absolutely no idea :D i just know of their black metal era and their more punkish stuff

Now that they were mentioned, I'll say Cannibal Corpse are the most overrated DM band ever. Don't think I have sat through a whole album in 4-5 years...just too bland.
Kind of agree yeah, wouldn't call them overrated though, CC are the kings of gore death metal where Morbid Angel are the kings of evil/occult death metal.
^same here, they have a couple of good tracks, but i haven't ever listened through a whole album. good live act though.
Killer live act, they fucking crushed Wacken in 2007 and will do so again this year I'm sure.
no, absolutely no idea :D i just know of their black metal era and their more punkish stuff
just listened to a track from soulside journey, sounded like old school death alright. perhaps still a bit far fetched to call darkthrone a death metal band based on one album though :p
Pretty good album, well-played and with a nice gloomy atmosphere, worth checking out!

ive never heard that album either actually, might check it out later...

this thread has me really into death metal again, been listening to left hand path and excoriate at work :)

might put on some skinless later, awesome band

Oh yea forgot Cannibal Corpse, they're definitely up there if not THE most overrated. I guess I forget them because they're so dang worthless that pretty much no one in the real underground talks about 'em whereas, say, Symbolic still has fanboys all over the place. And I didn't mean to say Darkthrone is solely a death metal band by putting them in my list...just put the phrase "in their death metal era" after every band if it helps.

The masters:

Morbid Angel
Death
Carcass
Atheist
Dismember
Entombed
Grave

and Cannibal Corpse is decent. Used to hate them but they have some crushing songs.

My faves:

Amorphis (early 90's of course)
At The Gates
As Serenity Fades
A Canorous Quintet
Bloodbath (with Swano)
Cemetary (1st album)
The Crown (Eternal Death album)
Cynic
Death
Decapitated
Desultory
Dimension Zero
Dismember
EDGE OF SANITY (Unorthodox through Crimson - 4 of the very best death metal LP's EVER)!!!!!!!
The Elysian Fields
Entombed
Eucharist
Fleshcrawl (1st LP only)
God Dethroned
Hypocrisy
In Flames
Mithotyn
Necrophobic
Ninth Level
Pentagoat
Sacrilege