Death Metal

ITDS is the best piece of "epic" death metal I have ever heard (right up there with augury and lykathea), though the other albums are slightly above average and that's about it.

In terms of modern DM, nile is one of the best. I certainly wouldn't compare it to the classics like immolation, atheist, morbid angel, etc... but that's beside the point.

Nile is good but I couldn't believe how much of a blatant rip-off Unas is of Well of Souls. :ill:

!T.O.O.H.! - Rad a trest
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry (probably too obvious)
Demiurg - Breath of the Demiurg
Psypheria - Embrace the Mutation
Scythe - Decay
Wayd - Decadance

Yeah I have heard all of those. They range from good to great but I still think they don't reach the level of quality from the European old school.

Oh OK so you only like WACKY OBSCURE TECH-DEATH!11!!!! Stargazer is good, though.

Umm, no. For the most part I despise tech-death (i.e. Necrophagist, Pavor etc.). However, if you were to label Crimson Massacre and Portal as 'tech death', which I admit is fairly apt for their sound though in a completely different manner than the aforementioned bands, than I would say yes I do enjoy it.

With regards to Crimson Massacre specifically I fail to understand how people don't seem to appreciate that album. Sure it takes awhile to get into but its not that unfathomable to comprehend after a decent number of listens. And the style of death metal they play is extremely unique for this day and age; it has a fair degree of depth thanks to the frequent and effective use of counterpoint theory. I admit it's not perfect, but it is a high quality album that goes under-appreciated around here.

death aflame, try

nile - in their darkened shrines (obvious I know, but this album is a masterpiece)
neuraxis - truth beyond...
augury - concealed
arsis - a celebration of guilt
deteriorot - in ancient beliefs
pavor - furioso

I have heard all of those save for Deteriorot. ITDS is good and Nile's best release but I rarely listen to it because whenever I am in the mood for some eastern tinged Death Metal I would much rather listen to Lykathea Aflame. That Neuraxis album is pretty good and they put on a solid live show but I don't see anything extremely special in the band. As for Augury, they are at least trying to be slightly different but as Mort already mentioned, Concealed is largely hit or miss. ACoG is enjoyable but ultimately extremely shallow and I can only stand Pavor when I am in the mood for wankage in my DM (i.e. never).

Evocation is the best current death metal band.

I just checked out TftT and it is indeed awesome stuff. I think this is largely because the band has been able to still hold onto that old school essence despite being inactive for so many years. One of my new favorites for sure.

Bloodbath-nightmares made flesh is more heavy,crushing, and extreme musically than 'brutal death metal' and US acts, besides that none of the guitarist are even 10% as good as Blakkheim. Throwing 'brutal' onto death metal is lame and there are some new death metal bands who lead the genre and don't have to jump on trends. I think people know who are real death metal bands and make death metal and who have no clue. People need to stop supporting brutal death metal bands.

Nightmares Made Flesh is more brutal than Suffocation, Deicide, Autopsy, and Obituary? Shut the hell up, you're out of your mind. :lol: And Blakkheim is not 10 times better than ever US death metal guitarist ever, sorry.

Actually you're both wrong, but whatever.

The Bloodbath EP, whatever the fuck it was called, was the best thing they've done. Breeding Death, was it?

The Bloodbath EP, whatever the fuck it was called, was the best thing they've done. Breeding Death, was it?

that's a good one. Their last album is pretty average outside of the song "eaten", which is fucking awesome. They are a decent intro band to Old school death metal but that's about it.

Terrance Hobbs ?

are you kidding ?

listen to the solo on "abomination reborn", fuckin' amazing.

He is a good player but he's not better. that is just complete bullshit

EX Monstrosity guitarists Jason Goble and Jon Rubin make the guys from Suffocation look like amateurs.

that's a good one. Their last album is pretty average outside of the song "eaten", which is fucking awesome. They are a decent intro band to Old school death metal but that's about it..

You're an idiot. I generally skip that song.