Death Metal

So I just rediscovered Cenotaph (Mex). Specifically, their first two albums.

When I first heard The Gloomy Reflection of Our Hidden Sorrows, the guitar production seemed incomprehensible to me. However, having returned to it now, I have seemed to adapt to it and I can see why others rave about this album: it is great melodic, sludgy classic romantic death metal.

Similarly their second opus, Riding Our Black Oceans is equally compelling, though for different reasons entirely. As some have remarked it seems to be akin to the most melodically nuanced death metal out there (Alf era At The Gates, for example) though slightly more accessible. Awesome stuff though.

Needless to say, this band fucking owns hard, and to think I probably would have continued to overlook them had it not been for the whim I had to check them out.

Human blood
the perfect place
birth of descendants
creatures living
in my veins the horror
frightening, sickening
the pain that I am bearing
begging, please get them
OUT OF MY BODY!!

Red moonlight falls upon the ritual
the priest is messing
"It's the end of all days"
spells cast upon the bones that moulder
while the bells chime for the opening of the graves

Once a night in Palestine
around the tombs fog can be seen
the bonethrone praise is on the run
the rite is done, the doom has come

Goat apocalypse
the woman's throat is slit
black pentacles burn
the burning wind brings fog in return

Ye shall know when he ascends
upon the flames a putrid stench
ye shall know when he ascends
upon the flames a putrid stench
reveals his presence unto those
for ye shall know when he unfolds

Daemonomantic fooooog laaaaaay upooon the tooombs of succoooooth

Blaah!

I'm watching the Bloodbath `wacken carnage` DVD and just noticed something other than the fact Dan is a lefty, his low E,etc.. is on the bottom and high strings are on the top, so fucking odd. Dan is the fucking man.

Wow just listened to the new Evocation album. What a fucking awesome death metal album. Kinda melodic but not so much to gay up the album. Pretty good release, a little better than their first album i'd say.

I'm watching the Bloodbath `wacken carnage` DVD and just noticed something other than the fact Dan is a lefty, his low E,etc.. is on the bottom and high strings are on the top, so fucking odd. Dan is the fucking man.
Lol I saw that right away cause somebody in the Bloodbath forums pointed it out. Fucking kick ass dvd!

I've been listening to a lot of new Old School Swedish(or not) dm bands. Pretty much bands that are relatively new but play in vein of the old school dm stuff.
Bands like:
Kaamos
Repugnant
Necrovation(maybe not pure old school, but great)
Verminous
Unconsecrated
Pentacle
Trimegisto
Dead Congregation
Deathevokation
Portal

So what does everyone think of this emergence of new old school dm bands(does that make sense?). I'm loving it. Its adding a lot to the death metal genre especially when the modern dm gets mixed with the old school stuff as with Dead Congregation and Necrovation. Recs would also be appreciated