Demilich

I hate that. :mad:

Another problem I have with it is that by the time the album's done, there's really nothing to differentiate the songs from one another.

No, I can tell the difference between every song. If you listen to it enough, you'll catch certain guitar melodies in the songs (as well as drum rythyms and vocal patterns). Listen to it with more attention to detail you'll enjoy so much more, trust me.

That would probably be my opinion.

So what is that supposed to mean? The term "opinion" is ambiguous so I am not quite sure what you mean. Your previous post was presumably a claim about how things actually are. Check it out:

It's more unique, but it's not better.

Is the above statement of the same type as a statement such as "Ice cream tastes good?"

Yes, it is. If I state something that contains a subjective term such as "better," especially in relation to something like music, then it is invariably a statement of opinion.

Yes, it is. If I state something that contains a subjective term such as "better," especially in relation to something like music, then it is invariably a statement of opinion.

The term "better" is subjective? That's news to me. What makes you think this is the case.

When I say something is "better" than something else, I am saying that I value this thing over the other. Regardless, this is not a topic worth carrying on over. You know what I meant to say by now, so surely it's time to move on, no?

When I say something is "better" than something else, I am saying that I value this thing over the other. Regardless, this is not a topic worth carrying on over. You know what I meant to say by now, so surely it's time to move on, no?

Sure. It's just a bit confusing when you use a putatively fact stating expression to say something like "I value this over that thing." What's the point of expressing things this way though? This just invites disagreement from others regarding things that you don't even think it's possible to have a genuine disagreement about. Whatever. Have a nice day.

I just want to state that Amorphis -the karelian isthmus is better than Demigod -slumber of sullen eyes and Demilich -nespithe.

Obscura and nespithe are way to different to compared.

Yeah they're not similar structure wise etc... but they both were trying to push the boundaries of "listenable" music with weird dissonant chords, etc...

Obscura achieves this FAR better.

They're both weird albums, so they can get compared to each other.

It's like comparing say... maybe Blut Aus Nord's TWWTG and Godspeed you Black Emperor's F00A or whatever it's called. Soundswise they're not really similar at all, but they're shooting for similar goals.

Obscura is definitely better and more engaging than Nespithe, with that I agree(top 4 tech death for me, up to par there with Longing for Death, Unquestionable Presence and Elvenefris)

Whats your favourite demilich song? (i guess this will vary a whole lot between everyone)

Obscura is different and unique. I actually don't think it's all that great. I would rather listen to From Wisdom To Hate.

Regardless I like the first two gorguts the most.

I'm actually having problems differentiating between the tracks on Nespithe,where one ends and another begins, etc. so I'm gonna go with none

I don't know, to me it just seems so obvious that when someone states "X is better than Y" about music that they're voicing a preference. The way you argued about it for so many posts was pretty unusual.

It's not at all obvious that that's merely what they're saying. There's a distinct difference between statements of the form "x is p" and "I prefer x". The preference for x is of course implied by the statement "x is better than such and such", but it's on the face of it more than just that. It is a claim about how two things in the world are related, i.e. one being better than the other. So it's very much like statements such as "Bill is taller than Fred." It doesn't seem to me that there is any compelling reason to suppose that one couldn't make an objective claim about things in the world by way of statements like "Demigod is better than Demilich." Furthermore, it's not at all obvious that the term "better" or even the term "good" is a mere placeholder for some kind of preference predicate.

edit: but that's why I dropped the whole thing after dodens explained what he meant. It's perfectly understandable to interpret the statement in the way in which I did.

Demilich -nespithe took me awile before I could differentiate songs. A good ammount of songs are very different. There is this one guitar part in the beginning of song 6 over the rythmn for example that sounds like nothing else from the album. I start noticing things like that.