Demilich

Yup. The songs on Nespithe are not indistinguishable from one another. They just require more attention on the part of the listener. This is not in any way a bad thing.

Exactly; a lot of the songs are similar in the context of the album, but repeated, aware listenings can definitely reveal the inherent beauty of the album.

Yup. The songs on Nespithe are not indistinguishable from one another. They just require more attention on the part of the listener. This is not in any way a bad thing.

An album should take a few listens before you get it and hear everything that a cd has to offer. That means it's a great cd and you can listen to it for a long time to come.

It's not at all obvious that that's merely what they're saying. There's a distinct difference between statements of the form "x is p" and "I prefer x". The preference for x is of course implied by the statement "x is better than such and such", but it's on the face of it more than just that. It is a claim about how two things in the world are related, i.e. one being better than the other. So it's very much like statements such as "Bill is taller than Fred." It doesn't seem to me that there is any compelling reason to suppose that one couldn't make an objective claim about things in the world by way of statements like "Demigod is better than Demilich." Furthermore, it's not at all obvious that the term "better" or even the term "good" is a mere placeholder for some kind of preference predicate.

I don't see how the term "better" can possibly be anything but subjective. "Taller" is obviously objective because you can physically see that something is taller than something else in a universal manner, but how can you objectively state that one thing is better than another? It's not like stating that someone is taller than someone else because there is a universal means of measuring tallness, whereas there are so many variables that are agent-dependent that I really don't see how my statement could've been determined as anything but opinion. Maybe abrupt and stubborn, but opinion nonetheless.

I meant lyrics, indeed. But yes, there are just some BLUUUURGH-y parts that are really cool, with that signature echo from Boman. Also, there is a cool guitar part that sounds really weird and is the closest they had at all to a solo, I believe.

Also, there is a cool guitar part that sounds really weird and is the closest they had at all to a solo, I believe.

I think it's just a dive bomb and yeah it sounds really cool. Ola from Grave does this dive bomb on I think severing flesh that sounds like a missil or something and it's so fucking cool. I love crap like that.

I don't see how the term "better" can possibly be anything but subjective. "Taller" is obviously objective because you can physically see that something is taller than something else in a universal manner, but how can you objectively state that one thing is better than another? It's not like stating that someone is taller than someone else because there is a universal means of measuring tallness, whereas there are so many variables that are agent-dependent that I really don't see how my statement could've been determined as anything but opinion. Maybe abrupt and stubborn, but opinion nonetheless.

I think your notion of what it is that makes something a true statement is kind of narrow. What sensible quality makes it the case that 2 + 2 = 4? Why should it be the case that in order to know that a value judgment is true one needs to perceive some physical/sensible property of goodness? At any rate, I don't think value talk can be extricated from factual discourse but I guess that's a different issue. Even if we allow that there is no property of goodness to be perceived we can still distinguish between a genuinely assertoric statement of something's value and a statement of preference. This is because it may be the case that value talk may be reducible to value-neutral talk about properties which are very clearly not subjective and are amenable to verification/falsification. If that is the case then when you warp the semantics of these kinds of value judgments and say that you're just talking about your own personal preference then you and the objectivist aren't even talking about the same thing anymore. I think the situation is more complex than that but I'm feeling a bit too lazy to expound on it any further. What I think though is that judgments about art (music, literature, painting, etc.) can and often do involve more factors such that it's not merely a matter of talking about whether you get some kind of positive sentiment out of the thing you're talking about. This is because art involves levels upon levels of meaning whereas ice cream really doesn't.

An album should take a few listens before you get it and hear everything that a cd has to offer. That means it's a great cd and you can listen to it for a long time to come.

I actually loved it before I discovered other old-school classics, and the tracks blending in tends to happen in other albums too(Far Away from The Sun, Beyond the Wandeing Moon,Dawn of Possession, etc), but it somehow manages to form a compelling whole. With Nespithe I get the feeling that it's starting to drag and wear me down from a certain point onwards

Good thing I don't consider myself a "metalhead" or I might have to take that advice.

P.S. post about metal and stop turning everything into a stupid philosophical rhetoric competition. You've been OK so far, but, since you're an ANUS fag, I'm gonna assume you're going to start shit somewhere along the line, and I'm just giving you fair warning now. Thanks.

I know, I'm just saying, for, like...future reference. And stuff.

I know several users here enjoy those kind of discussions though, so I'll be lenient enough...

With Nespithe I get the feeling that it's starting to drag and wear me down from a certain point onwards

I kinda get what you're saying. Sometimes I think 2,3 songs could be cut off, then again I think that with cds with more than 8.9 songs. I don't think I have an attention span problem or anything just don't see the point.

I think deeply philosophical discussions on forums are useless. Most people are here because they don't want to read long sermons about those types of things. The internet thrives on people who want immediate rewards, not to get themselves "learnt".

Speak for yourself, asshole. There's no rule that says internet forum discussions have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

I think deeply philosophical discussions on forums are useless. Most people are here because they don't want to read long sermons about those types of things. The internet thrives on people who want immediate rewards, not to get themselves "learnt".

If this was why people were here, they wouldn't get into these discussions. What if "most" of the people here don't want folks like you posting the way you post on these forums? You gonna stop?